• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tell me about chillers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You need pics of barbs? The sticky with case pics should have a bunch you can look at, not sure what you want a pic of.

btw: its looks like t'pol got kicked in the face in your avatar. hehe

I'm still not sure what you are asking. Are you looking to make an external watercooling box and want pics of what will be needed for the fans and tubes?

Actually rhino, I'm just making a cooler box. It has the Rad, fans and pumps all in one box. just has an IN and OUT hose which goes to the computer. All the fittings and hoses I got were from Home Depot in plumbing. Having a cooler box separate from the computer is far more convenient for me. It gives me far more room in the case and everything is in one simple package. I am fitting some valves to it so I can hook and unhook it easily without draining the rad and pumps. Also, I can put the cooler in a remote location (with longer hoses) such as outside (in winter)or somewhere out of the way.

I've made it so I can take it all apart in 5 min. for cleaning. I'm just leak testing it now and will try it in the computer tonight. I don't have pictures yet, but here's a 3D model of it. I use 2 pumps for redundancy (and 41% more flow rate), and a GM truck heater core. In the model there are 4 92mm fans, but I'm still trying to find some 92mm panaflos, so right now one Antec 120mm smartcool is substituting. The rad and fan(s) are shrouded inside the box. The box is made of 1/8" pressed board (it was cheap and I'm on a budget) and 1/8" neoprene foam lining the inside of the box - cuts on the noise a little and waterproofs. There is also an 80mm fan pulling out of the box to help cool the pumps (VIA 1300's tend to get a little more warmer than other pumps.) that's not shown.

I'll send pics when I get a chance. You'll see the fitting I used then.

Attachments

• cooler.jpg
    cooler.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 184
Here's another model with the box included. The front and rear panels are removed. The front panel houses switches for each pump and a fan controller for the rad fans. I'll eventually make a thermostat for the fans which will read both the intake water temp. and the ambient air temp and adjust accordingly.

Attachments

• cooler w box.jpg
    cooler w box.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 183
noxipoo said:
I'm still not sure what you are asking. Are you looking to make an external watercooling box and want pics of what will be needed for the fans and tubes?
you know when people put a r134a chiller in a cooler to chill the water.
those coolers i was thinking about making thats are wood on the outside so they have a sturdyness and beauty to them but the cooler on the inside.

Tell you about chillers. In two words, not cheap.

They do appear attractive as a stable cooling source that should be independent of season, particularly summer heat. Yet independent of some of the draw backs of phase change. While your post sounds like your interested in the parts to build one yourself, you might look at the aquarium folks to get an idea of commerical units and their cost & parts, here is one such link.

I'm sure the basic theory and parts needed must be somewhere on the web. I've not looked, too lazy to build one myself. :D

Lotec25 who is on here alot is building one of these chilled systems. Once he sees this thread you will prolly reply to ya. There is a section at Xtreme Forums that deal with these chillers.

Maximus_OC said:
Lotec25 who is on here alot is building one of these chilled systems. Once he sees this thread you will prolly reply to ya. There is a section at Xtreme Forums that deal with these chillers.

Here's a link to his thread here.

Back