• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to make an air trap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

i recently broke my acrylic res, so i'm stuck making an airtrap.
if you guys saw the design for my res a while back, it had two 3/8" inlets for the chipset/gpu waterblocks and one 3/4" outlet for the pump intake. I gotta do the same for an airtrap, but i'm afraid it might not work.. this is what i'm thinking of doing, but will it work?

pipes.gif

thanks

If it's positioned just like you got in the pic with the pump sucking from th 3/4"in, then I think it will be a pain to bleed. I've tried this before and the pump basically sucked the trapped air right down in. Works better with the fill-up tube isn't located so close to the pump inlet. Like at the end with the 3/8in would work better.

now that i think about it...
maybe this would work better..

pipes3.gif

but i don't know if i can find a 4 hole connector like for the second inlet

That last pic should work fine, and yes- you should be able to find cross-tees.

Finding a cross-tee in the size you want may be a bit tricky and you may have to use a copper fitting.

The second picture would be easier to implement and you won't lose too much effectiveness:
The 90 degree turn at the first Tee will bleed air better than the straight through inlet does but both will work.

Korndog said:
cool, i'll try the third way if i can find the cross-tee
thanks!!

Hmm, Cross-Tee, is a 90 degree turn better than the straight through inlet? I always thought that flow will be restricted more in the 90 degree turn.

yea, but since i'm going from 3/8" to 1", i don't think its going to make a difference, but this whole thing is going to add like 4" of head to my setup (boo hoo), so either way, i get screwed.

Back