• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NOOB help, with PNY 5900xt/se

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shinobi_SX

well this is my first video card thats not crap, :D, now, i bought this card and on the box it says se, in the advanced properties tab it says its a 5900xt. now i added coolbit.reg and i can see that my clock is at 2d 300/700
3d 390/700

i want to improve the preformance, and dont know on weather i should oc it or flash it....... im a noob at this, and i dont plan on getting a new card anytime soon,

and just to try it out, i went on manual oc, and hit the auto detect, it went up to 421/765, i backed out and put on no oc..... any advise on what i should do? thx....

ps: http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...96-08.JPG/14-133-096-04.JPG/14-133-096-05.JPG that is the card, do i need different heatsinks/fan?

Last edited:
I'd just overclock it a little. It's the safest and least troublesome solution for an XT/SE.

NEVER use the auto-overclock feature. It can only end in pain. At least that's what happend with 3 of my cards. Now I just overclock 5-10mhz at a time, then run 3dmark03 to see if you get any artifacts.(Checkerboarding, weird lines, any abnormal objects that shouldnot be in there) And then once you find some artifacts, back it down alittle bit until you don't see any, then just play some of your games and see how those go! Good luck!

blurry is right - many newer XTs do not take well (or take at all!) to flashing to higher-level FX cards. The CoolBits will take you as far as you'll need to go. Keep the core clock as high as possible - this has made all the difference to me on my FX5900, where memory speed didn't make as great a difference in real games. But your mileage may vary, depending on what detail settings you use, what resolution, and what games you play.

And remember : only the 3D tab settings need to be modified.

Good luck!

so when u said 5-10 at a time... do u do both top and bottom by five? or just 1 at a time?

ive never had a problem with auto-overclocking

infact i notice a 15-20fps increase in doom 3 when i have it on auto

yeah that heatsink is kinda wimpy, you should be able to get a decent OC outta it, if you have a spare pci card around then why not try flashing it to a 5950u which would put it to 475/ 950 :)

Back