• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How bad is algae?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
Hey Guys,

About 6 months ago, I built my wc rig and forgot to use distilled water. I asked everyone what would happen, and what everyone told me would happen just happened. I have algae inside my water lines.

How bad is this algae? Is there any way to get rid of it without tearing this apart? I hate disassembling it! This might actually make me switch back to air cooling! Anyway, what am I in for here, and what should I do about it?

Much appreciation in advance for the help!

-Collin-

oh boy.. u could try getting some algae killer, it comes in pill form.
but u really gotta flush the system.. Organic stuff just doesn't disappear, it kind of stays there..

Well crap...Im so terrified of a leak, even after 6 months, that I really dont wanna deal with it! Guess I dont belong in the WC section lol. I'll look into the algae killer, thanks.

-Collin-

algae looks bad too...looks kinda dirty so flush and use the pill Korndog mentioned which you can get from any fish/pet store.

I'm sure it's been answered a hundred times, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but to correlate, once he gets the algae out, what's the best additive to use to prevent it from forming again?

I've heard alcohol, bleach, iodine, anti-algae chemicals, anit-freeze. Has anyone just dropped a chlorine/bromine tablet in their resevoir.:D

Back