• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

End Task - should not see me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only time I get those is when an install program fails to close itself. I would not worry, as it was probably just a one time glitch.

EDIT: I meant to put this in, luckily IMOG also mentioned it. This is not a virus at all.

Last edited:
This happens regularly when you install the cat drivers and restart your computer... if you google for it there is a lot of information out there... I am going to link you in 10 seconds. ;)

EDIT: Okay people tend to think it is some sort of virus or highjacker but I assure you that this is not the case... It is just a symptom of something not shutting down as gracefully as it should and has been tied to installers in some instances which I would tend to believe judging from the fact that I see it every time I update my cats.

Just smacked around the MSKB to the best of my ability, and I think it is safe to say that this is undocumented there.

Nonetheless it is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Are you running Nortons Antivirus? I think this program is associated with Nortons, I think it does a quick check of the A drive and memory b4 it shuts down. I used to get that when I ran nortons, I got rid of it and never saw it again.

No it isn't just caused by norton, because I run norton all the time and it does not always show when I shut down.

I think it has more to do with windows installer - and this is why it is only seen occasionally and not every time you shut down.

Every time I have seen it, it has been after I install something and I am trying to restart the computer.

If it occured due to Norton, it would have been because of it scheduling something to run upon next start up, which would be the same thing as what the installer is doing.

So it might be in some way related to norton, but it isn't only caused by it.

I googled it and it seems to be because the windows installer is out of date. Updating it made it go away for most ppl. Guess that's why I might have seen it with Nortons probably after a liveupdate.

I saw that a long time ago. Then I opened System Suite 4 and looked at what the open proceesses were. (it gives the full name like "Internet Explorer" instead of 'iexplore.exe" anyway one of them said "hammor of thor". It freaked me out! I thought it was a virus but I did a scan and it didn' come up as one.

Back