• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DP-102 or SP92?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
Thinking of going back to air cooling. Not an easy choice, but there are a few reasons. Anyway, which of those two would be teh best heatsink? If there is another one other than those, I'd be interested to know. Basically, what is the best there is?

-Collin-

The DP-102 is theoretically the best AMD cooler on the market, but the mounting system (it uses the same clip as the stock cooler) sucks, and due to its extremely high weight, there is the potential for damage to the socket, in the event that it gets pulled out of the board, and anything the heatsink collides with on the way down. But you also have to consider that with two 80mm fans running at low RPM, not only does it cool as well as the SP97, but it's also less than half as loud. Put a couple high RPM fans on there and I think it could beat the SP97 by more than a couple degrees. So if you can reinforce it somehow, by making use of the heatsink mounting holes on the mobo, or as one forum member suggested, attach a wire to it and anchor it to the top of the case, you should be fine.

The SP97 on the other hand, is technically the King of Heatsinks, because it has been shown to be the highest performing heatsink on the market (they used high RPM, high CFM fans on it and didn't on the DP-102), and not only does it cool extremely well, but it's also got an extremely good mounting system, that goes on the back of the mobo, so it will never ever come loose.

Also consider how much space you have on either side of your CPU, that can determine whether or not the DP-102 will fit with 2 80mm fans on it, which you will need for it to cool as well or better than the SP97. Me, I'm getting an SP97 because it's less hassel. Throw it on and forget about it. I don't want to do the extra work that the DP-102 requires, but for you it might be worth it.

Get the best and forget the rest, SP-97 HS by www.thermalright.com .Visit the support page and look at the mobo compatability chart and install instructions for the SP-97.
Along with some AS 5 or AS Ceramique TIM, and a good fan you'll have a nice cooling setup. I run the SP-94 HS the SP-97's bro...:D

CLICK HERE

OK, an important question I probably should have asked first. I am on a college budget, so keep that in mind. I have a Thermalright SLK-900, so is it really worth the 50 dollar upgrade to use the sp-97?? I mean, will there be that much different? I have lapped the slk-900 also.

-Collin-

If you look at the HS review it puts them side by side. What are your temps now? case/mobo, and ambient(room) temp?
................................C/W
Thermalright SLK900: 0.22
Thermalright SP-97:.. 0.23

As the table shows, the higher your case temp (and fan inlet temp), the hotter the CPU temp. It's no wonder that many are finding fresh air ducts to be a very effective solution at lowering CPU temps. Effective CPU cooling requires BOTH a good heatsink and airflow through the case.

SOURCE :cool:

Last edited:
Back