• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are 9800 pro cards always this hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bill gates

I have a built by ATI 9800 pro 128mb video card that is not overclocked (yet). I installed a vga silencer on it yesterday and I don't think it is running very cool really. I can't really tell how hot the core is running but the memory is blazing hot! I installed my own heatsinks on the memory and those heatsinks get so hot that I can't touch them for more than about 2 seconds. It gets this hot when I play farcry and I am worried that it shouldn't get quite that hot. Also the air inside the case around the card is very warm. I don't have a device to check the actual temps, what do you recommend for checking the temps if I were to go buy something? And is the memory supposed to get that hot?

What kind of fans do you have in your case? It is crucial that you have GOOD air flow in your case. I have two intakes (one of which is a SFII) one intake on the side blowing right on my card, and two exhaust. There is air moving around the case at all times.

I have excellent air flow in my case, (2) 80mm intake, (2) 80mm exhaust, (1) 80 mm blow hole, all encased in a 100% aluminum cooler master atc-110 case which works as a giant heatsink. I would like to affix some kind of fan to the back of the video card to blow on the memory.

Hmm...that zalman fan bracket looks like just the thing I need. Thanks alot. How does it attach to the video card? Do you have any pictures of how that thing attaches? A nice 120mm fan blowing on that video card would be sweet.

That makes sense, I think I will get one of those. Still I would like to know if anyone else's Radeon 9800 pro gets this hot normally.

To answer your question, yes, they all get that hot. I've had 4 pass thru my hands, three of them are still being used at the moment, and they generate a great deal of heat. Even the nonpro at stock speeds gets too hot to touch for more than a couple of seconds.

I don't know if the card is running hot or if it is because it's too and doesn't let the air move around easely but my case got hotter after i got it about 5 degrees hotter.

Mustanley said:
To answer your question, yes, they all get that hot. I've had 4 pass thru my hands, three of them are still being used at the moment, and they generate a great deal of heat. Even the nonpro at stock speeds gets too hot to touch for more than a couple of seconds.

o.k. good, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was concerned that I was going to burn up my card. I don't think I will even try to overclock it with temps like that. At least the arctic cooler is helping out some. I think the stock cooler for the radeon is a joke. Although the XT version looks much improved. I would really like to see Radeon cards come with an elaborate cooling system just like the Geforce line. I think they would overclock a lot better.

Don't be afraid to overclock those cards. Apparently they like to run hot. I don't bother with trying to evaluate the temperature of the gpu or ram. I look for artifacts as an indicator of when the card is being pushed too far.

The first 9800np I started using nearly a year ago has been running at 425MHz core and 395MHz memory for that entire period of time, with the only mod to it being a 1u copper heatsink instead of the stock sink (and no ramsinks). That's basically a 100MHz gpu overclock and a 100MHz memory overclock

Mustanley said:
Don't be afraid to overclock those cards. Apparently they like to run hot. I don't bother with trying to evaluate the temperature of the gpu or ram. I look for artifacts as an indicator of when the card is being pushed too far.

The first 9800np I started using nearly a year ago has been running at 425MHz core and 395MHz memory for that entire period of time, with the only mod to it being a 1u copper heatsink instead of the stock sink (and no ramsinks). That's basically a 100MHz gpu overclock and a 100MHz memory overclock

Well, I don't think I really need to overcolock it yet, but it is nice to know that I can later on when newer video games come out that this card wont be able to run. If you ran it for over a year than I think it must be safe. I did download a program called ati tool and overclocked it to the 9800 XT speeds just to see how it would run and it was perfectly stable. So I'll just set it to the XT speeds and not go any higher. Thanks for all of your help.

Back