• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need BIG help with SATA drive & WinXP Install!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadInsane

I am trying to do a fresh install of windows xp. Currently my sata is recognized just fine in windows (w/ sp1 of course) using the silicon image raid/sata driver. EVery time i try and do an install of windows, it will not find my drive when I hit f6 and then put the floppy in, and select winxp/server2003 driver. I have tried a winxp disk, and also a winxp disk with sp1 integrated. Neither setup would recognize my disk. Please help, I have been working on this all weekend and am currently running windows from my 120gb IDE drive. Grrr. My bios settings are set to "SATARaid" and Boot device to "sata" boot other device set to "disabled." (Windows will not recognize my drive if bios is set to "sata" so I have to set it to "SATARaid", I have tried it both ways for windows install, yes) Exactly how dfi tells you to do. If anyone has had similar issues recognizing their single SATA drive for windows install, please help.

Damn, I was using the wrong drivers, and I dont have my dfi disk with me. Anyone know where to get em? (silicon image link maybe?)

http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index....512Q04X5i0UupP4SveI6dt2WJi7&cid=2&r=0.7549402

The website isn't the best to navigate. What happened to your dfi disk?

Disable the ide primary master in standard cmos features(right above access mode set to none), otherwise windows will try to install or boot on that ide drive.
I have the sill3114 device set to sata. Don't worry if the drive is detected in your current windows installation

Either the motherboard manual is wrong or my board is wierd.
Set boot other device to enabled or it won't boot off the sata drive, not disabled like it says in the manual. Set first boot device to cdrom when installing windows of course. After you install windows disable the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd boot device also.

This is my first sata drive install. I hope it's not always this quirky, lol.

Last edited:
I'm having basically the same problem. I have a new Infinity nfII ultra board and I'm trying to install win2k on a seagate sata 160 drive. This is a single s-ata drive. Win setup does not find a hard disk. Is there a driver I need to install and if so where do I install it? The board I have is a newegg refurb and did not come with a driver disk. The drive is shown in the bios during bootup so I know the bios sees it and its working. Should I use a sata to ide adaptor to install the OS then swap it to sata?

I have disabled the primary ide (selected none)
S-ata or scsi card boot is set to s-ata
Sil3114 s-ata control is set at sata

Thanks for any help you can give.

I can post it up on my ftp site if you want, I have a copy of the cd and disk.

let me know

I decided to just post it

ftp://robjen.dyndns.org

It will be there till 4-22-04

later

user: anonymous
No password needed

Last edited:
Tismedt said:
I'm having basically the same problem. I have a new Infinity nfII ultra board and I'm trying to install win2k on a seagate sata 160 drive. This is a single s-ata drive. Win setup does not find a hard disk. Is there a driver I need to install and if so where do I install it? The board I have is a newegg refurb and did not come with a driver disk. The drive is shown in the bios during bootup so I know the bios sees it and its working. Should I use a sata to ide adaptor to install the OS then swap it to sata?

I have disabled the primary ide (selected none)
S-ata or scsi card boot is set to s-ata
Sil3114 s-ata control is set at sata

Thanks for any help you can give.

Check the link on my post above for the drivers, then unzip the drivers to a floppy.

There I guess inlies my problem I dont have a floppy drive. Suppose I'll have to hook one up. Now wear to dig for that thing??

Thanks Robjen I'm dling now (at a blistering 28.9kbs.) I appreciate it. Is this the full DFI install disk? I assume it is because of the size 248mb. Doh reread your post yep full disk, thanks again.

Last edited:
Yep, full cd. It is ripped with nero. You can download a free copy from www.nero.com (i think)

sorry my server was down last night, Its all working agian now.

Ill leave it up for a few more days.

Wouldn't be nice if manufactures would post copies of instillation cds.
Probably a copywrite problems somewere.

I read in one of the other forums, if you press the insert key while booting, it will boot into stock bios settings.

Ive never tried it, but its worth a try

i just had the exact problem it wouldnt boot to a single sata drive i had everything set right that i knew of i was talking to a DFI tech support guy for like 3 hours working on it he finaly said its bad chip on the board. but i dont think it was from what a couple people have been telling me. its hard to get them sata drives to detect, something about creating an array for it.

Tismedt said:
There I guess inlies my problem I dont have a floppy drive. Suppose I'll have to hook one up. Now wear to dig for that thing??

Thanks Robjen I'm dling now (at a blistering 28.9kbs.) I appreciate it. Is this the full DFI install disk? I assume it is because of the size 248mb. Doh reread your post yep full disk, thanks again.

Ya you need to hit f6 while installing windows to install the 3rd party sata/raid drivers. Make sure you disable the ide primary master.

Snoopdog26 said:
i just had the exact problem it wouldnt boot to a single sata drive i had everything set right that i knew of i was talking to a DFI tech support guy for like 3 hours working on it he finaly said its bad chip on the board. but i dont think it was from what a couple people have been telling me. its hard to get them sata drives to detect, something about creating an array for it.

what settings are you using?

check this out

http://www.dfi-street.com/faq/index.php?sid=2928&aktion=artikel&rubrik=001&id=4&lang=en

Back