• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet cooling solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metsrule3186

can anyone reccommend quiet case fans as well as heatsink fan and also does the sound absorbing material u can add to a case cause too much heat to build up

I would recommend Panaflo L1A 80mm fans. They're realy quiet and they undervolt really well. I use 4 of those with a 92mm Panaflo L1A on my SLK-947U. The 92mm Panaflo cools well, but it's kind of loud at 7v. I'm looking into getting a 92mm AcoustiFan for my CPU from SiliconAcoustics.
Generally, the acoustic foam for cases doesn't case overheating if you have good airflow in your case, and in some cases it has caused drops in temperature.

cheap shag carpet from super wal-mart works great for acoustic dampening material (the kind w/ the rubber backing)... be sure to vacuum it first though to pull out any loose fibers that'd get loose later ;)

careful with the shag as they do seem to be made up entirely of fibers. the padding doesn't help too much. if you mod the fan so the red goes in 12v and black in 5v (red to yellow, black to red) you'll have your 7v. Bestbyte.net has killer fan prices and a range of quiet ones. Aim for around 35cfm and 30dba. A few of those would work out well and give you a quiet hummm rather than the wan of faster fans undervolted.

I never found sound absorbing materials to be good for anything more then a final fine-tuning. You will still need to leave holes for ventilation, and they usually end up letting plenty of sound out. It does help, but it won't make a loud computer silent.

The best silent processor cooling solution would probably be a Zalman CNPS7000A on the "low" setting. I used to use a slk-800 with a panaflo L1A @ 7v but it does'nt really let you have very high clockspeeds on the processor.

If you don't have space for 120mm case fans then the panaflo's do make great case fans though.

Often the powersupply ends up being the loudest component once you get the cooling right on the processor and case.

Generally Panaflo's are considered the standard for silent cooling. When you undervolt them they will actually drop in dBA, but I have heard some fans like the Papst when they are undervolted they develop a whine noise. Get some L1A's as suggested and if you need it to be quieter undervolt them.

For reference I have a 2500+ at stock speed undervolted to 1.425v with a Smart Fan 2 running at around 2884rpm at 20 degrees C (idle). I could put the fan even lower if I wanted to, just to lazy to open the case. (its quiet though)

could u please explain what undervolting is cause i never heard of it before. also is the smart fan u said u use a panaflow or is that something else

The Smart Fan 2 is what I use. It is made by Thermaltake. If you want to know how to undervolt fans I sugest you look Here . That same site has a wealth of silent pc information.

Fewer fans = Less Noise.

You'll need to figure out what you actually NEED in the way of fans. If you are determined to have 10 LED fans in your case for looks, it's never going to be quiet.

I bought a new case recently and I use a single 120mm case fan . That fan, coupled with good airflow, keeps my CPU in the mid 40's under load. I use a Thermaltake Silent Boost Heatsink... so it's not like I have a powerful cooling system.

I also try to avoid intake fans. They always seem to be pulling air through restrictive coverings.... which makes things noisy. I'd opt for fewer larger fans than multiple small fans.

This is pretty much gonna be the comp, might be some slight changes here and there. i dunno if this will help in determining what kind of cooling i need and what the quietest solution would be. also is it better to get fans that sense the temp and control automatically or ones that u control ureself.

• Asus K8T800 Chipset Motherboard “K8V Deluxe”
• AMD Athlon 64 3400+
• Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A
• Western Digital 200GB SATA HDD
• Western Digital 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA HDD
• ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
• Antec 480W Power Supply “TRUE480”
• Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
• Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 (Retail)
• Cooler Master Wave Master Case (Retail)
• Cooler Master Side Panel with Clear Window, Model

A zalman cu 7000 series fan would probably be the best balance between silence and performance. You probably won't really hear it from behind that powersupply though. :)

are they really loud? is there something better to get. i was looking at these new ones they have that dont use fans but i would think that the performance wouldnt be as good on a power supply like that. any reccommendations would be cool.

Use 120mm fans at low RPM. You can even open up your PSU and replace the 120mm fan in that too. SilenX makes the quietest fans that I know of. Papst used to but they're just as expensive as SilenX and not quite as quiet. They're also harder to find. Panaflo are pretty good, but for a buck or two more, you can do a lot better with the SilenX fans. The two loudest fans in your system are going to be your CPU and PSU fans. If you don't want to replace your PSU fan, you're going to have to spend quite a bit to get a quieter one. The heatsink isn't as bad. You can go with a Thermalright SLK heatsink with a big fan, or the Zalman CNPS7000, or as was previously mentioned, the Thermaltake Silent Boost. As for quiet PSUs, Zalman, SilenX and Seasonic all have PSUs specifically made for low noise. But they do cost a bit more. It's probably cheaper to get a regular PSU and throw a quiet 120mm fan in it. And to top it all off, you probably want a fanless northbridge cooler and a VGA Silencer.

thanks a lot for the info, i actually happen to have a vga silencer cause i got one to use on another comp but it ended up not fitting so i could use it on new one :). is it easy to replace the fan in a psu and also should i use same brand fans or something else. also who do i get a fanless northbridge cooler from. also the fans on the wavemater case are 80mm. 2 in front and one in back.

Last edited:
Back