• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my first high end intel rig, suggestions and comments needed pls.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
im done building amd until the 939's show up and prove affordable.anyhow here is a list of the major parts to be ordered on the first when i get paid.
all parts listed are from newegg so is no use listing prices,except otherwise noted.some parts used are not part of the final rig,costs need to be kept down some until i can afford what i really want.

1x P4E 2.8 from forum member

1x SONY Black 52x32x52 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive, Model CRX230E-B2, OEM

1x Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD, OEM Drive Only

1x A-DATA 184 Pin 256M DDR PC-4000, Model ADBJC1808 - OEM

1x ASUS 875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4C800-E DELUXE" -RETAIL

1xSparkle Power 530W Power Supply, MODEL "FSP530-60GNA" -OEM

i have a floppy,k-board,and a nvidia 256 64mb agp card.

1x 19" flat screen crt from wally world.

i still need to pick a HF/F,and im not sure how well 1 stick of 256mb will do in single channel VS dual channel.im definatly gonna buy more when i get paid the following month.should i stretch my self $$$ too buy 2? only $61 but im over $800 now and should stay under $600 but isnt possable with my taste.

ill add later a better agp card,more ram,case,another raptor for raid0-yes thats necessery imo :D

goal is 3.5ghz on air,and ill do the vdimm mod also.
my other goal is 250-275 fsb 1:1
yes i know 275 is not possable on air,but im looking at the future a bit when i go back to refer h20 or prommy.
this will be on my desk btw as i like new rigs that way for testing.

comments,suggestions?pls point anything out as i cant afford not to make wise decisions.the prescott is a wise decision if i told you what im paying so dont bother telling me get a 2.8/3.0c instead.

total on the above im purchasing is $800 so any additions will make me cut something else out.

Last edited:
Nice build ya got there. Though 256MB of RAM won't cut it. You will need at least 512MB for everything to run smoothly, and 1GB perferred. And 275fsb IS possible on air... you just need to get a top-of-the-line cooler. I recommend what I have, the Cooler Master Jet 4.

betterlife18 said:
Nice build ya got there. Though 256MB of RAM won't cut it. You will need at least 512MB for everything to run smoothly, and 1GB perferred. And 275fsb IS possible on air... you just need to get a top-of-the-line cooler. I recommend what I have, the Cooler Master Jet 4.

3.85gh on air? would be nice but we will see.
imentioned the following month ill buy more ram,but if the issue of single channel sucking ill find a way to buy 2 sticks this month.
i want 1gig in the end off pc4000+

ill check that cooler out ty!

I would get another stick of memory and maybe look into water cooling. If not i suggest something from thermaltake like the volcanoe 12 if it will work with intel

I switched to dual channel, and booting time on Win Server 2003 increased signifigantly.

Before: PC2700 333MHz DDR - about 45 seconds
After: PC4000 500MHz dual channel - about 15 seconds

Of course the memory's clock I have now is faster, but I know the dual-channel helps a lot. I got my 512MB OCZ kit for $150 at www.accupc.com

the memory speed may be helping the load times.
i think ill squeeze the extra stick in as if im disapointed with 1 stick single channel perfomance ill be really upset.

ill check the volcano out also.

h20 and prommy is 1 or more months away to be in my budget.

i have my refer still here from my amd days so i can do refer h20.
but its a pain and i wanna try a prommy.but who knows.

I'd say try to get a pair of RAM right off the bat. Do you have a harddrive you can use temporarily? If so, you could wait on the Raptors and get a pair of them later for RAID and get the RAM instead now.

For heatsink, it's hard to beat the Thermalright SP-94. Pair it up with a Tornado or Delta high output fan. You can get a fan controller eventually too, so you can back off the overclock and lower the fan RPM for a quieter computer when you want.

I know for a fact that a stable 275 FSB on air will not be possible with that CPU. It was all I could do to run benchmarks at 271 FSB with a watercooled system and lots of cooling mods. However, the goal of 250 FSB on air is no problem with decent air cooling.

well howdy deathstar13 long time no see.....its great to see you back in the game.......as for your build.......it is going to be great......What do you plan on doing with it?.......if it were me I would use another monitor like a friends or something for a month and use that money saved to buy the ram.......Or like batboy said use spare hd or friends spare hd for the time beeing......by the way how much are you spending on that 19inch monitor from Wal-Mart?.....is it the KDS?........good luck with the fsb.......I know your "fsb is life" moto will be back up in your sig once more when you hit 275 ;)

ive thought about buying a cheap small 7200rpm harddrive in the classifieds.is a good idea to rethink.i dont think it would slow me down that much.

i figured 250-260 fsb max on air.2.5-2.6ghz if im lucky.
plus it is my first intel rig so im gonna go slow pushing anything.

the thermalright is the boss i agree,and i guess it should have decent resale value as i plan on the refer h20 or prommy is 2 months at least away.

i usually budget $500 a month for pc parts,$800 this month.so it will be a few months even at that buying parts.

treepop said:
well howdy deathstar13 long time no see.....its great to see you back in the game.......as for your build.......it is going to be great......What do you plan on doing with it?.......if it were me I would use another monitor like a friends or something for a month and use that money saved to buy the ram.......Or like batboy said use spare hd or friends spare hd for the time beeing......by the way how much are you spending on that 19inch monitor from Wal-Mart?.....is it the KDS?........good luck with the fsb.......I know your "fsb is life" moto will be back up in your sig once more when you hit 275 ;)
hola to you too!i took another extended party and skittles break :)

believe it or not it will be used mainly for web surfing.
but its the hobby of building and ocing i want to build this for.
also it will fold so it isnt a waste,plus i do game some also.

yeh the kds 19xtream flat is what i generally buy. something like $179 usually.my last one sucked but was the 2 tome grey/black but the beige ones work great. they look like fromdifferant makers as they arent the same inside,or quality wise.

i want 2x 19 flat crt's in the end.
i dont have anyone to borrow one from here,and buying a $20 used 15" will make me cry.this system im on is borrowed,333 celery and a 15" monitor. im in pc HELL!

BTW: FSB=LIFE!

Back