• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Jackpot, Compaq Server Fans and Such Nidec Beta V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

Ok everyone has got a buddie that is a computer person / junk store guru. Well it was time for him to do some cleaning. I just happed to go to his house as he is pitching stuff from a 2nd floor window out to the back of his truck to take it to the dump. All if it was computer stuff.

Several of the computers were Compaq Prolient 3000 machines. Antique by todays standards. Well I start digging around see some really kick A$$ fans. As well as a much of 80-92mm fans there are 2 that I have that really have me intriged. I did some googling on them and have not came up with any specific details on them. I have found several that are similar from the same company but not these exact ones.

Nidec Beta V TA450DC model b33211-71A and the same but model C33211-71A They seem to be 120mm and about 2" thick. The fan blads look like someithing out of a bat man movie. 3 blades in a sorta weird shape.

If anyone knows anything about these please let me know. I will take some pics of the fan I got. One is a really cool blower style. It is a barrell style fan like you would see in an automotive heater motor, or in an industrial vaccume. It is cased in a round barrel fram so it draws air from the center and has an exhaust out the side. It is small enough that I might find a way to mount it either on the northbridge or on my new Ti4600 video card comming in.

Ok I used the search feature on the forum and found some interesting things. I also found out that the funny round fan is called a squril cage fan. Man that thing when pointed at my face blows my hair around at almost 2 feet away.

The larger 120mm fans blow around 100cfm of air. I repinned the connectors so they can be plugged into standard 3 pin fan connectors and hooked 1 of them to my Nexus even at low settings it moves quite a bit of air. Now all I have to do is decide where to install them. They are not nearly as noisy as my 80mm and seem to move much more air. I might pick up an old AT PSU to power them as I am worried about voltage on my rig dropping.

Oh Ya I am gonna use them.

I had a hard time getting to sleep last night thinking about all the things I could do with these fans.

I have a 24" Server case that houses all my server goodies that has just been dying to get modded and some big ol fans are probably just the trick for it.

The squirle cage blower is probably heading for a northbridge cooler mod of some kind in my main machine. All the 92mm fans will get added to a spare machine at some point.

The only catch is with these free fans means, I have to go out and spend money on larger hole saws. HeHe. I have to go to work now and it is going to be hell at work wanting to be at home modding up the machines. Hmm maybe I should call in sick. Na I cant do that I need the money to buy more modding parts.

Capt Fiero said:
I might pick up an old AT PSU to power them as I am worried about voltage on my rig dropping.

Definitely do that! And hook those fans up to molex connectors rather than your motherboard's fan headers. Reason: old electrical parts have a higher chance of failing and shorting out stuff. If you haven't yet, read the "If you use case fans" sticky/thread.

;)

Back