• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spds??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyberwiz01

I'm wondering how do prescotts respond to higher voltage? I know with the northwoods there was the risk of SNDS. But my question is, if more than say 1.7-1.75V is applied to a prescott, is there a risk of SPDS (Sudden Prescott Death Syndrome)??

Run 1.7V through a Prescott and you'll have a smoldering crater in your motherboard. 1.5V is probably the max VID you should try with a Prescott. If you don't have excellent cooling, then even 1.45V is pushing it.

Some people will probably claim to be victims of SPDS at some point. In reality, any time you over-volt chips, some will invariably fail.

Prescott does respond well to additional vcore. However, I agree that for most folks, 1.5v should be considered the max vcore. There's another post (sorry, don't have a link) here that links to an Intel spec sheet showing a max allowable vcore near 1.5v. With a stock vcore near 1.3875v, a 10% (safe) increase is 1.525v. With my 2.8E, I needed 1.55 vcore for a stable 3.5GHz. I wasn't comfortable with the heat and power draw at that level, so I ran it at 3.4GHz and 1.45v or less. 1.7v would most likely kill a Prescott quickly.

I agree, 1.7V would be pretty excessive for a prescott.
my 2.8E does 3.5 prime stable at 1.42V, and seems pretty stable at 3.8 at 1.48V, but haven't primed it yet. Even when I upped it to 1.52V, my temps didn't increase that much (watercooled :) )

-Chris

I've never seen an Intel CPU that couldn't handle a 10% vcore increase (about 1.525v on the Prescott). I ran my Prescott briefly at 1.6v trying to hit 4 gig and thought I was going to have a melt down. The CPU temp alarm went off (was set at 60 degrees) and that was with good watercooling. I would never try going above 1.6v and even that much is probably risky for long term usage.

Back