• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 or 2 fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayboykb

OOkkaayyy.. I've decided to get the JR-120!! Yes yes, I know it's not the greatest of the great.. but from what I've heard it's okay.

So.. for this.. do I need one shroud and 1 120mm fan.. orrr 1 shroud and a fan.. and another fan on the other side with spacers?

I finally have $270 in my checking account :D .. muahahaha

White Water!
JR-120!
Mag 3!
Maze 4 gpu block. . .. (I'm still.. shady on this one??)
and all the other good stuff

and great.. now the white waters are out of stock and they're not even.. in stock yet (ironic, eh?)

pre-orders are all gobbled up . . . maybe I'll just hit the rbx :mad:

I'd wait to see what the next block from Dangerden will be. There's a post where Dangerden told one of the guys here not to buy one or to return the one he just bought.

^
l l
l l
l l
l l

Sadly I have to use the socket 478 ones.. arrr

but c'est la vie.. I guess I can wait a little bit more.. let me get myself out of super-buying mode and take my finger off of the green.

okay...... if you have 80 cfm sucking, and 80 cfm blowing.... total air volume thorugh hc is 80 cfm.

if two are sucking, then you have 160 cfm.....

how could this possibly not be better?

it is quite obvious that 120mm fans are best for WCing

ok

the JR 120 will not support 2 120mm fans next to each other

ok

two fans blowing through each other, the only other option is horribly inefficent.

what am I missing from your explanation?

Okay well.. so far I'm in the buying process.. I'm still searching for this white water.. and my danner mag 3 - - and 2 good fans.

Where do I get the distilled water from? and what's the best additive for it?

**edit**

and will the maze 4 fit the radeon 9700 pro?

Last edited:
kayboykb said:
Okay well.. so far I'm in the buying process.. I'm still searching for this white water.. and my danner mag 3 - - and 2 good fans.

Where do I get the distilled water from? and what's the best additive for it?
B]

try a forum search for torins, water from supermarket, and antifreeze with corrosion inhibitor 90% water 10% antifreeze if you really think you need it

TheMightyBuck said:
okay...... if you have 80 cfm sucking, and 80 cfm blowing.... total air volume thorugh hc is 80 cfm.

if two are sucking, then you have 160 cfm.....

how could this possibly not be better?

if that logic was true, air compressors would be replaced with panaflos, lol. :p
The ratings provide my the manfac. of fans is @ 0 static friction which means nothing in the way of the fan.
Now put a dense heatercore in its way, a now you won't really have 0 static pressure. if u have an 80 cfm rated fan blowing through ur heatcore, you'll probably only have 30 or less cfm coming out the other end, but if u have a push/pull set up, you increase the fans max static pressure getting more air through to something like 60-50cfm. Now putting the both as pull or both as push is more or less the same thing, but putting one fan after another isn't always good because they won't be insync and this causes crazy pressure stuff inbetween them that i haven't even covered in physics, and besides that they get a lot louder.

When picking a fan, choose the 38mm deep one instead of the normal 25mm. The deeper fan body provides more pressure for air movement. In my sig rig, I have one 120x38mm fan on a chevette heatercore with a 2 inch deep shroud. Before going to a push/pull fan config, I'd try to fit a larger heatercore or an additional heatercore staying with a single fan per rad.

Your other components are good performance choices, don't cripple them with too small of a radiator. This may not be an option if a JR-120 is all you can fit. Adding extra heatercore area is an efficient way to get better cooling. IIRC, this has been discussed before and adding a second shrounded fan only increased airflow by 30%.

With the heat load of an oc'ed 2.8P4 and 9700 pro, an extra rad (or larger) should show a noticable improvement in temps. Picking a good shroud and fan is important also.

EDIT: the Maze4 (and MCW-50) gpu block fit a 9700 pro just fine. It has been machined so the bottom center sits down inside the shim a little. That is good if your 9700 shim is slightly higher than the gpu core which was common for 9700 series cards. The older dangerden gpu block was flat on the bottom and (in my case having a higher shim) would have required shim removal to touch the core.

Last edited:
no, put them next to each other...... then they will blow twice the volume of air......

if u have 2 identical fans....

having a push-pull makes the maximum air movement of the system the same as the spec for one fan.

if you have to fans, side by side, ,not on top of each other (i don't know why anyone would think i meant this....), then the maximum theoretical airflow is twice the volume of a push-pul config.

this has nothing to do with what fans you can hook up to what.... or what hc's support what fans, or static pressure.....

but if you have two fans side-by-side, (in parrallel) then the max theoretical airflow is double of a push pull (series).

if you have two fans pushing or pulling then those fans will be constantly under stress... Fan1 is pushing air to the HC... Fan2 is pushing air to the HC and the air from Fan2 is actually fighting with the flow created by Fan1 and Fan1 doing the same thing to Fan2... This setup is higly ineffective and fans will not move the same volume that it's supposed to and besides it will shorten the lifespan of the fans...

push-pull configuration is better than one fan doing the work however it's only 1-2 deg lower... so do it only if space is not an issue.

it doesn't matter if it fights the flow of the other fan.... or if it shortens the life-span.......

it moves more air!

how can it not?

you are blowing 2 fans worth of air into the center of the core. There isnt enough pressure to compress the air and there is no where for it to go so it stagnates while the backpressure on the 2 fans makes the flow less and less. You would have hot air in the center or one fan would be doing absolutely nothing since it wouldnt be able to overcome the backpressure.

who says the heatercore is smaller than two fans? what if it's bigger?

you can't just add variables to make your point.

what if it's two 40 mm fans, and a heatercore that is 20cmx20cm????

Back