• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time / AMD T-Bird 900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CRT

Hi. With a lot of help I just managed to overclock my first chip, an Athlon T-Bird 900 which is now running at 998 Mhz on a Shuttle AI61 mobo. I know the board is listed as having a 1 gig cap, and so far that seems accurate. If I increase the multiplier to 10.5 the system will not boot up at all. Currently I have the multiplier at 10 and the voltage at 1.85. The only cooling currently in my system is a dual fan power supply (which does pull the air from directly in front of the cpu) and a heat sink with dual fans attached to the CPU. Another issue is that I am still using an old 200W power supply. Can this cause any problems/damage? It has always worked since I got the chip and I just never bothered ordering an AMD approved 300W power supply. Any help, recomenndations, criticisms, etc. would be greatly appreciated as I barely know what I am doing when it comes to overclocking. I was convinced I was going to destroy the chip in my pathetic attempts to actually get the plastic case off the chip.

Thanks!
Chris

CRT...Welcome to the forums! I love being the first to say that!:) Sounds like you have a good general knowledge of the situation. If you take a minute or two and search the CPU database on the main page, you'll find that people with the same chip are reaching speeds well over 1Gig with air cooling.

You said you have the voltage 1.85v. Have you tried booting over 998? Your power supply could very well be holding you back. Considering the cpu database and the stellar AMD OC record, you might as well give it a shot...but take it easy okay! :)

Better case cooling is crucial..if find that the chip is a real smokin' mamma, then it's time to run w/ your cover off...or start moddin'
Good luck..keep us posted!!

Back