• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Motherboard installed, Need some old files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bouncer

Registered
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please dont flame me for the big NOOB question im about to ask.

I recently installed a new motherboard without backing up any files onto CD and uninstalling windows xp. I really need some of the files off my hard drive before I reformat the drive.

First off, I have windows XP, Windows 2000 pro OEM from a Compaq and Windows 98SE. Windows XP and 98 are currently installed on my hd but I cant get into XP.

#1 So what would be the easiest way to get the files onto CD and reinstall everything.

#2 Would the OEM version of WIN2KP from the compaq computer work Alright on this PC, (Anyone have any experiece using it and has there been any Compaq software installed onto the HD)

Thanks alot
Bouncer

My expereince is, compaq employees eat babies. I don't trust thme since they're prefad so don't go with anything fomr them.

To get your files on CD, adn I do this all the time, is maybe throw the HDD in another PC that owrks, copy them to that PC, and then burn on CD. You can aslo, if you have a second hard drive put the second HDD as the master, install an OS and access the good HDD as a slave nad burn the files. If you install over your OS on the same drive, depending on the OS, some files will get lost so careful.

I got my files through win98 that was already installed, I reformatted c: but cant format d: I want to reinstall windows xp but have no idea how to. Help would be greatly greatly apprecieated.
Thanks

Back