• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix 3.4 and DSL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krieger

I just downloaded the newest version of Overclockix, but I can't seem to get my DSL to work. Also is there anyway to make a persistant home on a local drive? Thanks in advance.

Krieger

Yeah, there should be a pppoe dialer in the Overclockix section of the menu. Or you could use a router which has PPPoE capability.

Create Persistent Home is also in the Overclockix section of the menu. You need about 32mb minimum. And be very careful your don't format your whole partition to EXT3 (unless you want to), but just create an ext3 image instead.

I'm not sure if the pppoe info will get saved in persistent home or not.

To use persistent hom in the 3.4 iso, you need to boot with the code-

knoppix home=scan lang=us + any other codes you prefer

The = key is shift + 0 on the german keybvoard layout. (I may get this corrected this weekend and put a new iso out)

Last edited:
I got my DSL to work under Gnome but not under KDE...Yet. I'll work on that at some point this weekend. I'll do that persistant home thing as well Thanks guys.

Ok I got my DSL to work under KDE, but when I try to setup a persistant home, the only option that comes up is a scsi drive... I have a scsi controller installed but no drives connected. Any reason it's not seeing my IDE harddrives?

There should be icons for each partition on the desktop. Are your partitions mounted and writeable? Are any of them fat32 or ext3?

You can mount and change them to write mode by right-clicking.

I made a 500meg ext3 partition last night, but it didn't show up on my desktop. Even after I rebooted X-windows. I also tried fat32.

Ok lol... I've managed to setup my persistant home, I have not played with it yet to see what it's capable of.

I'm having a problem with Kpackage... I can't seem to install anything. I keep getting this error...

< export DEBIAN_FRONTEND; apt-get install --yes 'lxdoom' ;echo RESULT=$?
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
RESULT=100

What exactly does this mean?

you need to be root for kpackage or apt-get.

So launch kpackage as root from a terminal. I like synaptic as a front end for apt-get, but usually just run apt-get at the command line. Whichever you use, you have to be root to install or remove software.

Back