• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How fast KM400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tengard

Registered
I have just set-up a Shuttle SK43G with a mobile AMD 2500+ processor. She clocks at 2250Mhz no problem, running a 180fsb and 12.5 modifier. My question is how fast can the KM400 chipset run and remain stable? Can I get to 200fsb and match the newer KM400a chipset? I would give it a shot but do not want to risk corrupting my fresh install of XP without more info. Heat does not seem to be a problem as the CPU stays at about 48C most of the time.

Thanks.

I should also mention that I am running PC3200 ram, so memory should not be the limiting factor of reaching a 200fsb.

I kind of figured that may be the bottleneck. Can the KM400 chipset run at 200 with any kind of stability? Will it melt at those speeds? Right now my AGP is a Radeon 7500 but I am planning to go up to a 9600 or 9800. Anybody know if these cards can run at 40Mhz or will they crash and die a horrible death?

Thanks.

You have the 1/5 divider on that board if I am not mistaking, and you should be able to get close to 200 without many problems. You may need to up the voltage on your chip though. I am not sure you will get too high out of spec at 200 fsb with that board to really create too many problems. Like everything else, go slow and don't go for the gold at 1 try, I am not liable. :)

Damn, I was hoping I would find someone who would take responsibility for frying my system. ;)

Guess not.

So far I have been really impressed with this little Shuttle, not one hickup so far and I am at 180fsb and 12.5 multiplier. I can't wait to get my WD 10000rpm SATA raptors running off the on-board RAID controller. I will probably need a better power supply to run everything. It won't post at anything above 12.5 so I am stuck there. I am going to slowly ramp the fsb to 200 and see what happens with the benchmarks. The ICE cooler in the Shuttle seems to do a decent job as the CPU rarely goes beyond 51C even after many hours of prime95 in a pretty hot room.

Should be running above 1.75 volts if I go much farther on the bus? Where can I adjust my fsb multiplier? I haven't spooked around the BIOS too much yet but I seem to remember on some of my older motherboards being able to change from 1/3 and 1/5 on the bus through the BIOS or jumpers. I will have to play some more. I seem to remember in years past not having much of a problem getting good cards to run in the 40Mhz range, we'll see.

If anybody else is interested I will keep you posted as to how well the Shuttle OC's and cools.

Tengard said:
Damn, I was hoping I would find someone who would take responsibility for frying my system. ;)

Should be running above 1.75 volts if I go much farther on the bus?

:) ya sorry bout that. :) But seriously it depends on the chip. When I get around 200 fsb on my board my chip only requires about 1.70v . Try it, and if it doesn't work then try upping the voltage at .25 incriments. As far as that board I am not familiar with, but you should be able to push it much farther without needing to change the dividers. Mine does it automatically when I push mine higher until it bottoms out on the 1/6 divisor.

Well I got up to 195fsb at a 12 multiplier. Not bad. I lowered the voltage to 1.6V and the CPU is running in the low 40C range at idle. When I went to 200fsb windows craps out. Doesn't matter what voltage I raise it to it just will not load. I think it is my video card as the error I get on boot up tells me my display device is malfunctioning. I am going to have to find a card that will run at 40Mhz before reaching the 2400Mhz territory. Anyway I am not that concerned about speed so I backed it off to the 180x12.5 setting at 1.6V. Plenty fast enough for a $90 processor and a small Shuttle with limited cooling and power. It benchmarks at the 3200+ territory and seems perfectly stable.

Any ideas for a video card? Doesn't seem that the Shuttle kicks in to a 1/6 divider and there are no settings in the BIOS to adjust the bus divider that I have found.

Thanks.

195 fsb is not too bad on that chipset, because I am pretty sure you only have a 1/5 divider so your cards are a little out of spec.

Is it possible to manually control the bus divider? I am sure some old abit boards I have used offered that feature in the BIOS.

Nvidia cards don't care how far the agp frequency is out

but PCI cards and hard drive controllers don't like much over 33mhz

Back