• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tt Silent Purepower 12V tweak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sQUiRLy

Thermaltake 420w Silent Purepower 12V tweak

I'm not responsible for any misfortunes that may arise from this post.

Remedy for a low 12V rail with the Tt Silent Purepower:

This tweak was done with my non-PFC Tt420 and has been reported working with the PFC model but I haven't got a response, as of yet, with the results from a member trying this with the 480W but it should work just the same.

Inside my PSU, at the front, beneath the AC wires are two pots. The one closest to the exaust fan is the 12V adjustment. Turn the pot clockwise to gain voltage. That's it.

I hope finding that potentiometer saves you all from forking over much needed dough on a new PSU, money you need to purchase a mobileXP with. :p

Last edited:
Well since I'm going to be opening this sucker and voiding the warrenty anyway. Has anyone modded a 120mm fan in the PSU?

Maybe 120mm for the exaust and a quieter 92mm on the bottom.
I don't klnow about the 420w ones, but mine is louder that my tornado at 7v.

ya know what, I really don't know. When I measure from multimeter, I get above 12 all the time. But on MBM, it drops to 11.7 or so. I really don't know what's up. What do you guys think?

do'nt trust software. trust your multimeter.

have you measured at different points in the system, like a molex and the ATX power connector?

Back of the 20 pin atx connector can be measured, but it is a pain because of the case. You might be able to get a small probe between the wire and the connector too.

hey, thanks squirly for the info. I did it today. How far were you able to turn it? I didn't get very far and it didn't increase my volts too much. Maybe a tiny bit.

Great post it gives me an excuse to open mine and start modding.

Once I can leave my computer off for awhile to let the PS discharge I will start a thread on making one modular and easier to adjust.

When you have it open, could you look to see if there is space to put a 120mm fan on the bottom to replace the stock?

red_dragon said:
hey, thanks squirly for the info. I did it today. How far were you able to turn it? I didn't get very far and it didn't increase my volts too much. Maybe a tiny bit.

Your welcome red_dragon. I didn't have to turn mine all that much to get above 12V.

works for the tt480 also got my 12v rail to 12.09. but it also upped the 5v is that a concern? before it was running 11.7. thanks for the tip I was about to plunk down 140 for the ocz 520. thanks again.

:clap: Alright! It works with the 480w too! Thanks for posting your results Stoner51.

Yeah, the 5V is derrived from the 12V so it must be considered when adjusting. I prefer to keep under +6% as that is what most PSU manufactures use for +/- % tolerances.

I just finished doing this to my Pure Power 480 and the results are....

Pre tweak of the pot average 11.73 (unk 5v)

Post tweak of the pot... 11.96 with no load and 5v is at 5.02v

Under full load I am jumping back and forth between 11.9V and 11.83v and 5v is a rock at 5.02

Thanks for the info guys! Not a bad little mod.. not sure what real world will do (probably nothing) but nice to not have to look at 11.73.. I wonder why they didn't just give it a little tweak at the Factory. I'm thinking Thermaltakes rep would be leaps and bounds better if they #1 posted combined voltage in the specs and #2 took the time to have their OEM adjust the damn rails!

J So said:
I'm thinking Thermaltakes rep would be leaps and bounds better if they #1 posted combined voltage in the specs and #2 took the time to have their OEM adjust the damn rails!

They would charge us more for the product if they did that. ;)

I was able to lower my vcore .05v and remain stable at the same speed after pumping up the 12v rail so it's more than just a cosmetic mod.

OK, is it the POT closest to the cooling fan or farthest away from it? Thanks for the tip. I've bought 5 of these for customer builds and I noticed the 12V rail a little low on a lot of them.

Oh yeah, for those of you with the Enlight 420 watt PS, this is one and the same with the TT.

MassiveOverkill said:
OK, is it the POT closest to the cooling fan or farthest away from it?

Good question.:attn: I'll have to edit and update the first post to clerify things. Yup, you were right with your first guess, it's the one closest to the exaust fan.

Good luck with the builds.

huh, i opened my silent purepower 480 with pfc the other day looking for the pots...didnt see them, ill look again now :) ive been looking for that adjustment...thanks

Last edited:
Back