• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Age old ? (Suck or Blow) lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
Heater core fans ? how many use the suck method and how many use the blow method.

I know some real studs prefer ya do both lol but lets keep this related to heater cores.....

Last edited:
If you are using one fan... i dont think it really has a significant difference between sucking or blowing (hahah that sounds funny....)

If you are using the push/pull configuration then 1-2C difference

With a decent shroud, I find little difference between the two whenever I use fans on just one side.

Air flow direction/type becomes more of a concern to me then: I seem to be having better luck with radiators with single fans exhausting the case through the radiator right now....
I haven't put too much experimentation into this subject before, but I will be. ;)

rogerdugans - So you have a rad in back of the case which uses the case air to be cooled?

If the case allows, Id recommend using the outside air to cool the HC... even if it's dumping warm air into the case...

ILikeMy240sx said:
rogerdugans - So you have a rad in back of the case which uses the case air to be cooled?

If the case allows, Id recommend using the outside air to cool the HC... even if it's dumping warm air into the case...

Actually, I have plans to do that in my next case.
The one that I currently have configured as exhaust is in the side- Pics of mATX LAN rig on Water

It is kind of an exceptional case in that I have so much being water cooled and the system is so small and has little room to put fans.

My standard practice has always been to use internal rads as intake for max CPU cooling, but in this system the reults are much better overall with the rad as exhaust.
That prompts me to try it in more systems. :)

rogerdugans said:

My standard practice has always been to use internal rads as intake for max CPU cooling, but in this system the reults are much better overall with the rad as exhaust.
That prompts me to try it in more systems. :)

I setup mine as exhaust also. I never seen any difference between the two except a few degree's more in case temps. I would think if your case had bad airflow you would rather setup the rad as intake instead.

Suck or blow? Doesn't make a difference that I could see. Two fans or one? If your using the 25mm thick fans then two actually work better then one. Now I use one 120mmx38mm thick fan and adding another one didn't make a difference.

blow. got about a 3 1/2 " shroud infront of the rad. didn't get any better temps by sucking so i stuck with blowing

edit for retard mistake

I'm gonna be going the suck route as it is proven better, and I already have a exhaust blow set up one already. I think the suck route is better if the air is fresh from the outside. :)

I'm new to water cooling. I just bought the case and radiator. Im not sure what you mean by suck the air or blow the air. Have the fan be on top of the radiator and blow the warm air out, or have the fan blow warm air into the radiator. The radiator will be inside the case, but the fan will have a hole to access the outside air. Sorry for changing the topic, i just thought that this related to it, somewhat.

It only makes a difference if you're pushing through the rad and the fan is close to the rad. Then you have a dead spot right behind the motor, but a little higher air velocity just behind the fan blades. This may or may not make a difference (it depends on your rad design), but generally the air-cooled HS people claim that this reduces performance - I personally have the opposite experience, but as I said, it depends on your rad/HS design.

Physically you just want to create a pressure difference across the rad with the fan. However, you'll get the most even air flow through the rad if the fan is pulling.

It only makes a difference if you're pushing through the rad and the fan is close to the rad. Then you have a dead spot right behind the motor, but a little higher air velocity just behind the fan blades. This may or may not make a difference (it depends on your rad design), but generally the air-cooled HS people claim that this reduces performance - I personally have the opposite experience, but as I said, it depends on your rad/HS design.
That applies to a heatsink, where the configuration is such that sucking usually doesn't work well. There's going to be a dead spot whether you suck or blow.

I switched to SUCK..The blowing does affect a fan from what I have tested.

NMB 5 blade are what i am using and the blow method was ok BUT when I switched to suck the shere amount of CFM increase was pretty impressive. I am thinking the back preassure on the blades may have a bigger efect on my fans then when I reverse them, Not sure why but thats what I have found with these fans...

Back