• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duran 800 trouble with MSI K7t-turbo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyDLight

Hi
I have a duran 800 @ 1017 mhz right now and I have the processor unlocked at the L1 and L7 bridges. When I try to enable 266 system bus on the motherboard my cpu acts weird and restarts randomly quits out of games and sometimes doesn't even get through booting up windows 2000. I think its because I have ****ty pc133 cas 3 ram though, because it runs fine at 112 fsb with the multiplyer @ 9. I'm not totally sure if its the ram or not right now my temp is only at 50c and I installed extra fans on the case with a room ac cooling me. If you guys think its the ram what kind should I buy so I can enable 266system bus? otherwise ill just keep it how it is. Please give me some feed back
Bobbyd

well first off to me those temps sound a little high and you may want to try and get thim down in the 40c

second Im not quite sure but durons dont usually like high fsb

so you maybe stuck with just raising your multi. but first get those temps down
at 800mhz you could get away with 50c but when you overclock you need to get better cooling

First of all, welcome to the forums.

I don't think that its your RAM, even cheap PC133 should be able to run at the rated default of 133MHz, unless you have it set higher in the BIOS.

Second, in my experience, I've gotten DURON's to run as high as 142MHz FSB before other peripherials held me back. No issues with the DURON and FSB.

If your memory settings in the BIOS are o-k, then I would take a look at the temperatures.

One other note, I also use WIN 2000 Pro on one of my systems and have noticed that if you don't get a "good" install, you can have all sorts of problems that a fresh install seems to take care of. But once installed and running properly, it runs great!

hey its me

yo, do you think I should get a better heatsink? Right now im using a thermaltake orb cooler (but its a ghetto one). Right now im running a brand new room ac from frigidaire and its always 70 degrees in here. Its waaay tight for the colorado dry heat. I guess I could cool it down more in here but then its too cold. I put two 3 inch fans on the top of my case sucking in, right above my ram and two 4.25 inch fans blowing out right above my cpu on the left panel. Those arent including the intake fan in front and chassi fan on the back. So if it is heat I probably need a better heatsink any suggestions?
Bobby

I just took a minute and checked, according to the MSI web site the KT7 Turbo uses the VIA KT133A chipset which means that it will support a FSB at or above 133MHz.

That being said, I don't have any experience with the ORB hsf's but have read a lot of negative comments about them. The most common problem is that they are very hard to install correctly and many people have damaged their CPU's and rendered them usless with cracked / chipped cores. I've used several Global Win hsf's and would recommend any one of them. My first choise would be the WBK38 for about $20.00 or the newer copper version of it, the CBK38 I think about $35.00 / $40.00.

Good Luck!

I have had quite a bit experience with this combo as you can see from my sig. Right now running at 8x133(1066) vcore=1.825 and FOP38. Temps under load 45C case=22C and ambient 20C.
I have used the SuperOrb and the main problem is not so much that it cannot cool, because it is to within 5C of the FOP38, but being such a light HSF it heats up too rapidly and this in turn allows the CPU to expand rapidly and in my opinion causes the instability. If you decide to remove it do it with great care as many chips have been damaged in the process.(including a late 800 of my own)
I believe your problem is temperature too. I know mine starts becoming unstable from 47C. Anything above this is a question of waiting to see if it crashes. Bear in mind that all the thermistors are in different positions and therefore readings are not necessarily the same. I set mine so that it sits just proud of the socket and therefore presses against the back of the ceramic.
Good luck. I have been really happy with mine and perhaps with water cooling will soon be over 1100. Takes a lot to beat the Duron 600 though for oc ability.

try to set ram setting to "by SPD" in BIOS...

get new BIOS Version 2.9..

try to set the vcore in bios at less 1.8V
or in PC alert III... 1,91V...

i think the temp for turbo is higher
than the other as the probe is different model...

mine first shoot is 67C stable
but i bench the probe... put 2
case fase than now i'm in 51 C
very stable...

Back