• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decent premade kit that will do what I want?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I have an AMD Barton 333 2500+ running at 2.2 GHZ. I cool it with a Thermaltake 900 something I think. The fan I am using is super loud. I have to change it to watercooling because my parents' can't stand it. Is there a pre made kit that someone could recommend to maintain the speed and kill the noise? Any help is a god-send thanx

Do the premade kits come with any kind of warranty? That might be the only selling point in me getting it from them

I am predisposed to think highly of Swiftech: everthing I have ever used of theirs has been top-notch quality wise. Although not always the highest performance available they are usually not far off the mark, either.
Solid, durable products and they stand behind their products.

I am unsure of just what warranties there are, as I tend to void warranties very quickly upon receipt of...just about everything. ;)

As for other kits-
There are only 3 kits that have what I personally deem acceptable performance:
Koolance Exos
Asetek Waterchill
Corsair Hydrocool.

There are a few newer ones that look pretty good, but I have not enough information to add them to my list.

There are also sites (such as DangerDen I believe) that pre-package some of the most commonly used parts into a "kit" that you can buy with one-click shopping. I have not tried any of them, but they do exist.

Thanx for the info. I'll probably get the DTek with a white water. When it gets here I'll have to find a way to fit it to the case.

I've got a +2500 running at +3200 just like you. I don't even have my water setup on it. It's using the stock HSF and I get no troubles. If you're not going to push the o/c any further, you might try using a quieter fan and see what happens. If you've got fairly decent airflow through your case, it should be fine. It would be a much easier and cheaper solution.

peace.
unloaded

That might be an option, but would really hate to have something screw up. I'll give my parents the options and let them decide.

quiet HSF

The 900 is indeed an awesome heatsink - however... those long narrow passageways between all those fins require some decent pressure to get air to move all the way down to the "root" of each fin.
If you're looking for quiet, and so want to go with a slower-moving fan, take a look at the thermalright AX-7. That big block of aluminum under the fan motor conducts heat up and away from the copper block and out to the semi-radial fans. These heatsinks are only about $20.
I'd suggest setting one up with a panaflo 'L' 80mm fan, and using a fan rheostat (or PIC/voltage controller) and just keep turning the voltage down until you see temps start to rise or you just can't hear the fan anymore. I'm really surprised at how little aiflow the AX-7 needs.
You could try the quieter fan and voltage controller on the 900 - and that probably would do a great job - and if not, you're only $20 away from a low-noise setup.
Oh - and I'm pretty sure someone here would give you $20 for the 900 you've got :)
Bob
PS (ob-water-cooling) If you're looking for a quiet kit don't forget the Innovatek kits. Their focus is on quiet.

PS2: Speaking of noise - are sure it's your HSF noise your parents object to? I'm guessing that they aren't so PC-sophisticated that they're saying "Turn of that da***d heat sink fan!" - so your problem could be your hard disks or case fans. If it's your Mom who's unhappy, it could also be that your monitor is making a high pitched squeal that you can't hear (coil noise).

...just my thoughts - worth what you paid for 'em...

IMO, An AX7 wouldn't be a better option for him - the copper of the heatsink he has now (thermalright 9xx) is much better and it would also be fine with a quiet fan. A panaflo L1a would be a great fan, or maybe the one above that which I think is an M1A - slightly more airflow, slightly more noise. The L1A can be had from bgmicro for $3.20 which is a great price for this fan. That's just my take though.

I don't know how much temp room you have with that overclock... You might want to try running the current fan at 7 volts and see how your overclock reacts. I strongly recommend you give that a try before making any more cooling purchases. You might find out that noise is acceptable while performance is the same or atleast close.

EDIT: BTW, swiftech is who I would go with if I wanted to ensure I didn't have to back off the overclock and still have things reasonably quiet. If your parents are picking up the tab, I would likely just go with the swiftech kit. They do high quality stuff.

Last edited:
Back