• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you guys make the text fade colors in ur sigs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

Hey guys, i notice alot of you with faded sigs, and ive played with those programs that fade the instant message text, but im curious, how do you go about doing that? i have no knowledge of HTML. i do know some C++, VB, and am a QB master (but that wont help me here).

Thanx in advance everyone!!

I know at one point there was a program floating around that did it. I dont remember the name, maybe someone can help you with that. You put in the color you want it to start from and go to and it fades it for you

[color=000098]L[/color][color=000091]o[/color][color=000084]t[/color][color=000077]s [/color][color=000070]o[/color][color=000063]f [/color][color=000056]f[/color][color=000049]r[/color][color=000042]e[/color][color=000035]e [/color][color=000028]t[/color][color=000021]i[/color][color=000014]m[/color][color=000007]e[/color][color=000000].[/color]

:D :D

Now did you just use a program for that, or did you really have all that free time? ;) I wrote a program to fade any text with VB code between any X number of colors. I still have it somewhere on my drive, but I'd have to look if you really wanted it.

Though colored sigs take up a TON of space when downloading. Take the number of charachters, and multiply by 23 to determine just how many bytes you're making some 56Ker suffer through. 279 charachters (your sig) = 6.2 kilobytes = 1.25 seconds over 56K uncompressed. Of course, since the connection is compressed it'll likely only add 0.2 seconds to their download time, but it's still a lot of data just for coloring.

JigPu

Ahh i see.. well it wasnt totally intended for sigs, moreso having people be all "howd u do that?" in IMs since AIM listens to VBscript. Thanx guys.

I used to have a fading sig and I'd change it on a regular basis. I eventually ditched it because it was about 11K of HTML :eek:

There was an applet that Christoph made - it was a simple Visual Basic script that generated a ramp from two colours and a text string and put the resulting text with vB tags in another box.

Ive run VB scripts and they disappear. they dont always work but sometimes they do. Like the CDROM open command or the spin floppy.....but the other person i beleive has the older version of AIM .....html works in aim right?

It really is not that hard to do in notepad. Open up a notepad window and copy and paste this text into the window:

{COLOR=RRGGBB}*{/COLOR}
{COLOR=RRGGBB}*{/COLOR}
{COLOR=RRGGBB}*{/COLOR}
{COLOR=RRGGBB}*{/COLOR}
{COLOR=RRGGBB}*{/COLOR}
{COLOR=RRGGBB}*{/COLOR}
{COLOR=RRGGBB}*{/COLOR}
{COLOR=RRGGBB}*{/COLOR}
{COLOR=RRGGBB}*{/COLOR}

Make one line for each character in your message (and use the other bracket style for the obvious reason). Use the windows calculator in hex mode for the addition and subtraction and replace the *'s with each character in your message. Don't forget the whitespace between words. When you are done, start at the bottom and work your way up deleting the line breaks as you go.

Also, I find that if you want to do a three color shift like I have in my sig, it looks better if you shift to the intermediate color first and then shift to the final color (red to orange first then orange to yellow).

JDXNC, you are Da Man for today... This makes it so much easier to make the colored ascii art sig I always wanted... ;)

I coded mine from the thread where we had a little contest for doing this... I just downloaded the program and entered my text... Until the upgrade nuked my old sig format beyond repair. Grrr. That old sig had around 5,000 characters in it, including all the code... NO-ONE has that much free time. ;)

Somehow I can't find that old thread where everyone posted their logic and their solutions... It is out there. I know someone else can find it.

EDIT: BTW, it displays all messed up in firefox, and that was actually the largest reason I quit using the complex color code - firefox doesn't display it right, and the spacing was messed up with IE.

Last edited:
Back