Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.
Forum Jump

Arecibo Observatory gets 7-pixel eye on the sky that will make world's most sensitive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-23-04, 03:15 PM Thread Starter   #1
Sir Ulli

Thumbs up Arecibo Observatory gets 7-pixel eye on the sky that will make world's most sensitive

ARECIBO, P.R.. -- The Arecibo Observatory telescope, the largest and most sensitive single dish radio telescope in the world, is about to get a good deal more sensitive.

Today (Wednesday, April 21) the telescope got a new "eye on the sky" that will turn the huge dish, operated by Cornell University for the National Science Foundation, into the equivalent of a seven-pixel radio camera.

The complex new addition to the Arecibo telescope was hauled 150 meters (492 feet) above the telescope's 1,000-foot-diameter (305 meters) reflector dish starting in the early morning hours. The device, the size of a washing machine, took 30 minutes to reach a platform inside the suspended Gregorian dome, where ultimately it will be cooled and then connected to a fiber optic transmission system leading to ultra-high speed digital signal processors. The new instrument is called ALFA (for Arecibo L-Band Feed Array) and is essentially a camera for making radio pictures of the sky. ALFA will conduct large-scale sky surveys with unprecedented sensitivity, enabling astronomers to collect data about seven times faster than at present, giving the telescope an even broader appeal to astronomers.

Full Story at Cornell

Sir Ulli
Sir Ulli is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-04, 08:38 AM   #2
Cy

Sweet! Its really exciting how much progress is being made in science these days. Lots of good stuff to learn about.

Cy
Cy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-28-04, 10:09 AM   #3
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Just thought I would post to mention that I find these threads interesting Sir Ulli. Good reading.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-03-04, 07:34 PM   #4
Talmakie
Registered

I whole heartedly agree with IMOG's statement. Keep it up Sir Ulli. Though I am new to the team and this forum I find the articles and information you post enjoyable to read. I look forward to more.

PS. I also enjoy the lively debates I've been reading. Oh so tempting to chime in
Talmakie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-08-04, 11:10 PM   #5
Daewood

that is pretty cool
Daewood is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.