• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless networking between 2 houses?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fccdj

what would be the best way to wireless set up a lan between mine and my friend house who lives down the street from me we do not have a direct line of site there are 2 trees in the way

Way 1 my friend get a wireless router and i get a wireless nic and we put really big anttenas on them

or

Way 2 we both get wireless usb adapter and buid reflectors to direct the single at eact other house

we are looking to play games and transfer file between our houses

im thinking 1500 to 2000 feet but im not sure
ive never really mesured it but if i can figure out a way to go 1500 feet i should be safe its just the dang trees

i Dunno about being impossible, I had about 1000ft between myhouse and a friends. I had my router in a 1/2 height basement windows (Linksys 11mb) and he was using a WUSB11 he had in his window that was in no way a direct line of sight around his brick house. He had full signal and like 80% quality. I was pretty suprised to say the least.

fccdj said:
what would be the best way to wireless set up a lan between mine and my friend house who lives down the street from me we do not have a direct line of site there are 2 trees in the way

Way 1 my friend get a wireless router and i get a wireless nic and we put really big anttenas on them

or

Way 2 we both get wireless usb adapter and buid reflectors to direct the single at eact other house

we are looking to play games and transfer file between our houses

Hey fccdj,

Your post inspired me to finish a right up of a mod i did about 6 months ago but never got around to posting it on the forums.

It's a really cheap mod that will help with your problem, and you can check it out HERE

I hope it is of some use to you.

reade mine and you will get a signal boost of upto 9miles! for less than a McDonalds lunch.

some of the better wireless routers i've looked at say they cover 400 meters outdoors. that's about 1200ft itself. assuming that's wrong and you could only get about 900ft out of it a wireless card with antenna should be able to pick it up fine.

friend of mine has a wireless setup and wanted to see how far he could reach with his antenna on his laptop. he hit his home network 6 blocks away. i forget the exact specs on his antenna but from the sounds of your situation it wouldn't be quite as far as this.

does anyone know where to find the measurments of where to place the hole in the can and my frind will have the wireless router and i will have a wireless pci card do you think it would be better to place the cantenna on his end or mine

Yes if you read my post it's listed in inches there! If you need a conversion from inches to cm let me know!

i read you post i just didnt understand it i have 3 coffee cans 6 inches in diamitor and 6 5/8 of an inch long for a total of 19 3/32 inches long do you think thats good enough or should i go with something else

ok the closest your can daimension fit is this:

Can Length 6 5/8 *The closest is 6 6/8

Your diameter is 6 (which is damn good!)

So you will need to cut your hole 2 2/8 from the bottom of the can.

Not sure why you have 3 cans though? unless you plan to attach a can to each wireless networ device? But that would increase the range and power even more! You only need 1 can if you look at my picture in that thread there is only one can of pineapple chunks.

so one can is all i need i read somewere that you need an 11 inch can and they said the longer the better do you think that one will be good enough and if so the distance you gave me is for one can not three

The list posted gave all the measurements for cans from 5 inches to 11 inches... 11 Inches is going to give you a stronger signal strength and also range but as Isaid in my post Im using a 6.5 Inch can and I'm getting great results.

The measurements I gave you are for 1 can measuring 6 5/8 in length and 6 inches in diameter as stated in my last post.

No problem If you need anymore help just let me know..... Always glad to help out..... Once you have built it take some pics and post them over in the alternative moding section.

one more thing using the calucations found Here my 6 inch can will break the 2.475 ghz min and it says i should mount the nmale connector 1.376 inchs from the bottom if you follow the calulations on that page a 3.5 inch diamtor can is the best

what is the 2.475 ghz min and should i be worried about it and if so do you think i should use a 3.5 inch can

Back