• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC beeping, keyboard not working, computer about to kick the bucket?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
This is really bad, and I’m not sure what my next step should be.

Here’s a quick rundown of what happened tonight. I’m playing UT, and the little lights on my keyboard start blinking then just go dead. I jump out of UT and about 15 seconds later my PC starts this beep beep beeping real fast. It totally locks up, the keyboard stops working and I have to turn it off via the power switch on the case. Thinking my keyboard died, I swap it with another one and boot up.

I get the “Keyboard error or no keyboard present” error.

I reboot, and get the same error.

I turn off the power in the back, wait a few minutes, then reboot.

No keyboard error this time, but I get this instead. “CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck-CPU SOFT MENU

I go into the BIOS (note the keyboard is working now) and all the CPU info is gray. I get out of the BIOS and it lets me boot into windows. Right away the keyboard lights start blinking, and then go out completely, It locks up, and it started beeping again. I shut it off, and tried booting up one more time and get both errors at the same time

Keyboard error or no keyboard present
CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck-CPU SOFT MENU

I can’t get into the BIOS or anything.

What do I do? Is it the motherboard, CPU, or both? Please help me, this is my main PC, and I really, really need it running.

Here’s some specs, if you need more just let me know. Thanks a bunch!!!

Windows XP Pro
Intel P4 2.8ghz with HT (not over clocked)
Abit IS7 series mobo
1 gig of 3200 DDR (two 512 sticks)
4 hard drives (one is a Raptor)
9500 graphics card
DVD
CD-RW

This morning I was able to reset the CMOS and get into windows for only about 4-5 minutes before the keyboard lights went out again and it started beeping then it crashed. I got to transfer a few things off of my C drive to my other one, but that’s it.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Yeah, the fan and everything is still working. It does almost sound like it’s over heating, but it’s not overclocked, and I have never had any heat problems in the past. I tried a new keyboard too, but it still does the same thing.

If you think the CPU is overheating, try taking off the HSF and reseating it. You'd be surprised how much difference this can make.
How long have you been running the computer?

Back