• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AthlonXP board for Joe Sixpack

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shill82

Hi,

I'm gonna be building a system for my brother he won't be gaming and I don't plan on OCing. Its been a while since I've been in the comp scene but was wondering what board would best suit my needs. I'd porbably match it up with whatever AthlonXP chip I can get for around $50-$60 probably low end Barton I'm guessing.

Requirements
Good On board sound
Stable above all else
On Board Lan
Was thinking of going Onboard Vid but if it won't save me much in price I'd prbably just put a $50 card in it. Let me know what you would do.

I'd lean towards Epox as my Epox board that I'm running right now has lasted me nearly two years more than I can say for any other board I've owned.

Thanks
Shawn

Last edited:
I would recommend going with the Shuttle AN35N Ultra. This board is based on the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset, which is the top chipset for overclocking Socket A systems. I have built several cheap systems for my friend's based around this board, and every single time the board has been more than up to par for the job. Plus, it will be a great overclocking board if you ever choose to do so. You can find this board at Newegg for $59. A steal if you ask me

You don't even need to go as high as a KT600. The good ol' KT400 is a very reliable and stable chipset. It even has limited o/c abilities if your friend chooses to in the future. There are always KT400 refurbs on newegg running as low as $39.00 so just watch the list. Even new you can pick them up nice and cheap.

Epox 8RGMI or new version due out soon 8RGM3I

Shuttle MN31N

Both are mATX with decent onboard video for his needs and an AGP 8X slot for later.

MN31N has better audio with Soundstorm

8RGMI has OC features that will improve onboard video performance.

I've run 2 x MN31Ns w\ Barton 2500+ and 2 X 256mb of Crucial PC2700 for 10 monthes using onboard everything with no problems.

Regards, Balrog

Listen to balrog. The shuttle mn31n is best deal for you because it has great video (even around 3500 3dmark2001) for his needs so you don't have to pay additionally for video card and has awesome soundstorm only $80.

I would think about a nforce2 IGP board..... they go for about $60.....come with good on board video (about the same as a MX440 card). Still comes with AGP if they want faster later.

Actually Beerhunter both of mine bench ~6000 in 3DMark. If you run dual channel with good timings and OC the FSB a bit and the AGP core with Riva or Coolbits they perfrom quite well. Both of mine will run any game I have @1024 x 768 no problem, ~100FPS in Q3 and ~55FPS in BF1942 makes them definitely playable. No "eye candy" of course but for an inexpensive LAN rig playing first person shooters they're a bargain and of course the Soundstorm audio is awesome.

Regards, Balrog

Back