• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD mobo that has 4 NON-regesterd slots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFIsoldier

Is there any AMD board that doesn't require registered in any of the slots? I am going Dual and wont have the cash necessary for registered ram, and I already know you can't mix, and wasting ram isn't a good thing in my eyes, so...is there any motherboard that doesn't require registered ram at all? If not, what is the cheapest motherboard for dual AMD, that has atleast 2 slots for un-reg. DIMMs?

Are you talking opteron or athlon mp?

Pretty much all of the mp boards will allow you to use unregistered ram, albeit in only 2 slots. I believe there is some fundamental hardware reason why it is always 2 slots, but I'm not sure what it is. The two cheapest are probably the MSI k7d master and the asus a7m266-d.

Opterons require registered RAM. The chip itself is designed to work only with registered ram; there is no way around it afaik.

I am refering to MP.

I know almost all or most atleast allow for 2 slots to be non-reg, but I was wondering if there were any boards that allowed non-reg. in all 4. If there isn't which seems to be the case, what is the CHEAPEST board with atleast 4 slots for ram, an AGP slot, and 5x 32bit slots, 1x 64bit slot. I am trying to build the cheapest dualie ever, using duron 1.8s and stock heatsinks(non overclocked system).

I don't think there is any board that doesn't support registered memory. It would have to not support registered at all for it to support more than 2 slots of unregistered.

Registered decreases the load the sticks put on the NB. Also this is from my gf damaged brain, but I think the NB doesn't provide soemthing to the 2 last slots, and I think it also doesn't have enough amperage for 4 slots, since I think they included a chart to caculate ddr amp usage. I think my 7dpxdw can do 4 since there is no warning about regular DDR on the PCB of hte MB, but I might be wrong.

well dang, ruins my plans. I guess I am stuck to a max of 1gb with my budget. What motherboard do you suggest on the REALLY cheap side with atleast 2 non-reg. slots? Is there anything sub $100?? Doesn't have to have OC ablilties, just need to accomodate 1.8ghz or higher durons or MPs, 1gb of un-reg. ram, agp slot.

Not really. The only thing that comes close is the Tyan Tiger MP, but is hit or miss running 1800+s or faster due to power issues.

Try refurb sections or 2cpu's For Sale and Trade forum.

I overclocked my 1.8 durons, really easy to find some cheap week 29's on ebay. Might want to look into it if your gonna buy them anyhow..

I would tend toward the Asus board because it allows you to use 2 processors of different speeds so long as they have the same FSB. The MSI board requires 2 of the same processor.

bulk88 said:
I think my 7dpxdw can do 4 since there is no warning about regular DDR on the PCB of hte MB, but I might be wrong.
Actually it can do 3 slots (128+128+256) and ram counted properly. I tested it. Also there is an aditional ICS chip near the slots and I think it a chip that turns the last 2 slots, when filled with normal ddr into registered ddr.

Back