• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where Is The Updated 37gb Raptor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demont

I remember hearing rumors about WD making a new version of the 37gb raptor that would include the advancements of the 74gb version (like FDB, faster seek time, etc). Did this happen? Will it happen?

I would just like it to be my windows/programs/games harddrive, I don't need/want 74gb for that.

it is true, they are out there however it is labeled identically as the 74 in model number, strangely enough. i'm not sure how to find one or where.

i would check on the storagereview forums for more info.

I actually posted there at the same time I posted this. This thread was pointed out to me:
http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=14905&hl=Raptor++new

The guy is reporting the new 360gd's he got from newegg are quieter, and the access time tests he did with IOMeter put it closer to the 740gd than the old 360gd. But then the analysis of results from winbench99 wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.
... So effectively this seems a 2nd generation WD360GD, but not really a single-platter WD740GD.

I'm tempted to just go and order one from newegg.

i just bought another from newegg, but i already have it in my raid array with my older one.

didn't seem any different to me.

Some progress in the same thread I linked before: http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=14905&st=0

A member there got a WD360GD-00FLA0 made March 1, 2004. When tested and compared to the WD740GD his drive showed the same:
  • Seek Time
  • Low Noise/No high pitched whine
  • Model Number "00FLA0"
  • Physical Appearance

However the transfer rate was roughly the same as the original WD360GD.

I'm still not 100% convinced, if anyone has a WD360GD-00FLA0 (not to be confused with 00FNA0) or other fairly new WD360GD that they could test please post here.

Directions:
from ralph sinclair in the storagereview forums:

1. Install the new Raptor into your current PC, but leave the current hard drive in and don't partition or format the Raptor. Install SATA drivers if necessary so that Windows will recognize the Raptor.

2. Get IOMeter version 12.16.2003 (free download from www.iometer.org; there are also non-Windows versions) and run the benchmark for 10 minutes on the "unpartitioned space" of your new raptor.

3. Use the Results Display to determine the Average I/O Response Time and post this value to this thread.

4. After you get the new drive up and running with a Windows installation, use the Winbench99 (free download from http://www.veritest.com/benchmarks/winbenc...t.asp?visitor=) Disk Inspection Test to determine the drive's Transfer Rates (and access time) and report them here, or better yet, take screenshots and post them here.

Also compare your drive to the WD740GD shown here:
http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_image.php?test=top&typeID=10&devID=254
The detail around that circle on the left side looks differnet on WD360GD's in particular.

I'm niterested in this as well since I don't need 74GB of storage, and the extra money I save could be used toward a second 36GB for RAID 0.

I remember reading somewhere that the "updated" drives were actually a little slower at transfers, maybe they were going for long life? Anyhow, I have two of the 36's in RAID0 and they perform very nicely. :)

Actually the transfer rate on the drive I was talking about was slightly above the old WD360GD's but within the margin of error. Nothing to write home about but not slower.

I just got a replacement 37 GB Raptor from WD. It was manufactured on April 4, 2004. Product # WD360GD-00FNA0. It sounds identical to my old one - not any quieter.

pelikan said:
I just got a replacement 37 GB Raptor from WD. It was manufactured on April 4, 2004. Product # WD360GD-00FNA0. It sounds identical to my old one - not any quieter.

Are the benchmarks the same?

pelikan said:

Wow that's some quick turnaround. Are you sure its not 2003 or something?

Back