• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI UI Dead in the Water. Crap.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

godrifle

Registered
Hi there. I'm on my second DFI Ultra Infinity motherboard. Both have exhibited the same problem. Lemme splain.

The first mobo worked great for about two weeks. Everything running cool, just a slight overclock on my mobile Athlon 2500 (FSB [email protected] volts, speeze CPU fan, lots of air, running at about 45-48 degrees celsius under load. One day, I boot up to play Desert Combat, and the machine starts acting weird, losing network connectivity, dumping out of the game, etc. I reboot. It gets worse. Finally, I boot into the BIOS and drop the FSB to 400. Reboot. Nothing. Not a beep, nothing. I pull the CMOS jumper, take out the battery, disconnect power, take myself for a walk, boot back into BIOS, and start changing settings. As soon as I make a keystroke, it locks up. Reboot. Dead. Pull CMOS jumper ad infinitum. Finally, get it up and running, boot into WinXP, and the autonotification wizard (can't remember what it's called) from DFI says a new BIOS is avail (11/27). Well, I swear 11/27 was what I was running, but decided to update via that mechanism. Bad move, because from that moment forward the board was dead.

I RMA it to newegg. Get another one on Friday. Install it, same problem. Dead in the water, LEDs but no beeps. Pull RAM, video and power supply, and successfully test each individually in another system. Didn't check CPU, though I wanted to, because I don't have another AMD system. Strange thing is I actually got this second mobo to post a couple of times, but during BIOS setup, it hung. Now, nothing. I've never seen a fried/faulty CPU only go "partially" bad... Usually all or nothing there.

Your thoughts? It's getting expensive RMAing this thing. Worse yet, the CPU is OEM so I have no warranty now. Am trying to locate someone with AMD system to test the CPU in. Anybody seen this before?

Thanks for your help.

Most likely not your chip. Sounds like a board issue to me. The best advice I can give is RMa that one and the next one just flash the bios. The official bioses from Dfi well, They suck. Go to www.dfi-street.com and download one of the betas. I prefer the 1/21 Myself though the 1/31 also gives good performance.

I agree, the beta/alpha BIOS are very good, 1/21 worked great for me up to 240. It sounds like your board is messed but I would check the chip just to make sure.

Back