• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

net send command

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acidburn2019

Registered
In school under the MS Windows Network there are 4 different workgroups. CDSD, CDEHS, MSHOME, EACADD. The computers that I have access to are under the EACADD workgroup and when you use the netsend command it only sends it to those in the EACADD workgroup, i.e. the other computers in the computer lab. I was wondering if it would be possible to do a net send to computers in the other workgroups, or better yet, all of them at once? If anyone knows how could you please show the command to do this.

I've heard of people getting suspended for misusing netsend... broadcasting it to every computer in the school is a good way to do land yourself a suspension. Since you only have access to a certain set of those computers, it's very curious that you want to be able to message computers you do not control. :eh?:

the usage is NETSEND [destination] [message]
where the destination could be a user name, a computer name, a workgroup name, a domain name, an ip address, FQDN, or a subnet. Depending on how your school is networked, you may be able to use your network's broadcast address. Otherwise, you'll have to send more than one.

However, it sounds like your up to no good, so be careful not to break any of your school's rules.

The rules at my school are very lax, and there is a very minimal chance that i can get caught. Not only that i'm very close with the tech people and the teacher of that course. Plus there are a few computers that nobody uses so they won't know it was me. So something along the lines of "net send cdsd hi"?

Well, just be warned that if the principal gets a netsend message from you, they might call it hacking, launch an investigation into it, and trace it right to you. Also, should you message the wrong computer, next time the board techs come in, and notice netsend messages on the server, they can track you down.

For those who don't know what a netsend message is, they will call it hacking, because how else can you put messages on their screen if you didn't maliciously hack into their computers ;)

:D Yea. But, there are 4 computers that nobody uses in the back of the classroom. I already have the batch program written and i have about 4 min with no teacher in that class. Plus, there's a kid in that class who is openly a "hacker". So it should be pretty hard. But, would that be the correct line to use to send it to a different workgroup?

I see a lack of 4 minutes unsupervised time in your near class future.

Ehhh it's possible. But, I highly doubt I will get caught. There are too many other people who are known "hackers" in my school. Besides I'm just asking for "educational" purposes.

A way to broadcast across all workgroups is:

net send * Hello

Works on my college network (over 200 machines) to annoying effect. I.e. annoying to me.
;)

I've never heard/seen of any on the Mac. Even Net Send Command Line (a program to send out net send) doesn't run on Mac. Net send is a command that is built into Windows using their messenger app. So I highly doubt it's possible but I'd love to be proved wrong.

im surprised this thread hasnt been locked for discussing malicious or "terrorist type actions" on computers. you are asking (as a student) how (in a school) to send a message to every computer in the school saying there is some unsupervised time you can do this this , about not getting caught or traced. and talking about other "hackers" at your school. so how is this a legitimate and constructive thing to do? And my old high school is rather "lax" in thier security, until someoen netsended every computer in the school 10 times in a row. and i got suspended for "vandalizing computers owned by the school" which was a fancy way of saying "we dont know what your doing, and even though its probably nothing we are going to punish you because we dont like you". the point is, you shouldnt be doing this no matter how much you think its "no big deal" or whatever you are being malicious.

And if you really want to know windows help is somewaht useful try perhaps netsend /?

malicious or "terrorist type actions" on computers

I really fail to see how this is malicious or terrorist like.

Is he stealing or damaging any data?

Is there anything permeant about it?

No. One click and the message is closed.

There's nothing hacker or terrorist about this. I get plenty of Spam email and IM's from people I don't know but I never flip out about it.

He could just say something like "Hello everyone! This is Bob! I'm just trying something I learned for computer lab, don't mind this. Thanks."

I mean, there's worse things he could do. Things like the shutdown command could be easily be used improperly and I would understand that.

That's just how I see it. :-/

yes a home user wouldnt pay this any mind but the point is this is a school. and they usually flip out on the smallest things. net send can be considered harrasment (seen a suspensio under that as well) and in the eyes of a teacher or miserable IT person. it can be considered malicious, even if its not. and just cause there are worse things he can be doing doesnt mean he should be doing this, hell there is always something worse one can do.

Yes. If I wanted to I could go in and change most of the settings on the computers, I have the admin password for our tech lab as well as a majority of the computers in the school, but that is not the purpose. I'm not trying to harass anyone, cause anyone any harm, or even look cool. I merely asked a question that I was interested in. And the net send /? really didn't help too much. Would you get ****ed with someone who was asking for help with dvd backup, just because you view it as malicious? It's only information, what I choose to do with that information is up to me. Harmless research really.

The resarch part is fine. It's the unauthorized intent that is not :)

Just like with discussions on Kazzaa or iMesh, so long as you don't discuss WHAT you are doing (and instead simply discuss the technology behind them, how they work, etc), the forum tends to do little. Once somebody says Well you know I'm sharing 385 videos, 2000 mp3s, and a few GB of warez if you want them it gets shut down immediatly.

You have (quite unfortunatly since I'm also interested) revealed your intent to use the net send command in an unauthorized way. That's the problem with the thread, and why nobody is giving you a straight answer. It may be something minor, but nobody's going to stick their neck on the line to tell you how if a mod stumbles on the thread.

JigPu

Not a problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Also for the record it is allowed to be done, as long as I keep it to our computer room, and for testing purposes only. I decided to try it out today, and my teacher was interested as well, he said to get in touch with other teachers in the school, whatever. So as long as I do it responsibly, do not abuse it, and let him in on what I learn, he said it can be considered a part of my independent study project. Fortunately, because I was his first candidate for who did it.

Just kind of wondering, but does netsend not work on XP pro? Or is there something you need configured in order for it to work...I can't netsend to myself or anyone else on my network. I get the "'NETSEND' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file." message. I've tried ip's, workgroups, and computer names. Won't work.

Don't feel bad. I did that a couple of times myself, even after knowing how to use the command. Then get mad when I can't figure out why it's just not working.

Back