• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Celeron 700 to PIII 800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

larioso

I have an Compaq Armada 110 with Celeron 700 Mhz now.

Thinking of getting it a second life by upgrading to a PIII.

I checked with compaq of a part no 233551-001 which should do the job on my very machine. This part also has a heatsink.

But I'm not sure exactly what the specs of processor here is?
The Compaq part is very expensive of course.

The now used Celeron part no 233549-001 have code SL4P8 which has stepup cC0.

Wouldn't a SL4MB 800EB do the trick. Or maybe the 100 Mhz bus SL4CE or SL4MA? They all have stepup of cC0 also.

The cooler/heatsink there now is probably the same whether Celeron or PIII. Spareparts place on internet had only one type of heatsink anyway.

Any advice how to check this out would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards
Lars

Not sure it's worth the money to upgrade. You are only looking at 100 MHz clock speed increase. Sure, the FSB is a little higher and the cache is doubled, but you'd be better off saving the cash for something else. I doubt you'd notice much of a performance boost.

Thanks for your comment.

You may be right. Especially taking Compaq prices into account. But I found it somehow used at $270 and still rather high price compared to ordinary PIII 800EB on market used for around $60.

But notebooks might have special processor types I wouldn't know. Anybody having an idea about this meybe can tell?

But still the Celeron says 128 kb cache, but Compaq diagnostics say 128 kb but only 16 kb installed. Whatever this means it does not sound so impressive. Then it's quite a step up.

I have compared laptops to stationary machines before and the major difference was external cache.(beginning 90's).

So getting 256k cache and little higher speed is one thing. If there are other stuff that is better on the PIII I can't say.

If an investment of $60 would fix it no problem but $280 I don't think so. All new Compaq upgrade cost over $460 something.

I saw an used Comaq Armada M700 with a PIII 800 Mhz for around $500 all together.

Thanks and anybody with still more info will gladly be accepted.

I doubt those are mobile processors, so if they are using desktop processor, then you won't have to actually buy one from Compaq.

Download and run a program called CPU-Z to give you CPU info. The 16k will be L1 cache. It's the L2 cache that has 128k on a Celeron. I don't know how much RAM you have, but adding more RAM is probably your best bang for the buck upgrade, especially if you only have 128 meg of memory.

Back