• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Fx 53 vs Intel P4 - 3.4GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techzone

Hi all,
I want to build a new system. Which one is the best AMD Fx 53 or Intel P4 - 3.4 Ghz for Gaming , little bit of video editing and other stuff ? I want to use this system for another two or three years. Am I going to see a big difference if I get the P4-3.2ghz over 3.4GHz? Please give me some advice. Thanks.

In gaming I wouldnt think there is much comparison between a standard (non EE) P3.4 and the FX53 in gaming as the FX53 is way ahead - something that is reflected in the price!

am in the same hot water, INTELs are expensive than AMD 64
but, i guess INTEL is more UPGRADABLE than AMD , i got 3 kind
of PC and am switching the older parts to another, with AMD
you can't do thise triks, then you need to change MOTHERBOARD,
CPU, MEMORY(double prise than INTEL boarded).
That's why i preffer THE INTEL.

techzone said:
Hi all,
I want to build a new system. Which one is the best AMD Fx 53 or Intel P4 - 3.4 Ghz for Gaming , little bit of video editing and other stuff ? I want to use this system for another two or three years. Am I going to see a big difference if I get the P4-3.2ghz over 3.4GHz? Please give me some advice. Thanks.

Are you talking about the Extreme Edition P4s? Because their extra cache seems to level the playing feild.

AMD Socket 940 server CPU's are not a wise purchasing decision.

AMD Socket 754 3400+ can easilly be the fastest CPU under $500 and seems will be holding this title for another month, maybe more.

Intel Socket 478 Extreme Edition CPU's are quite the costy piece of hardware. These CPU's are and will be the last and fastest CPU's for Socket 478 (no further upgrade). If you were to purchase one of these, I would recommend you find the cheapest deal from a good source for the 3.2GHz EE and forget about the $200-premium on the 3.4 EE.

Intel Socket 478 Prescott CPU's, except for the $120 2.4A, are rather pointless to consider right now.

Intel Socket 478 Northwood (800 FSB) CPU's are a good buy, but won't be the fastest out there. And if you intend to purchase a Northwood-based system as a hold-off until things in the CPU/GPU market settle down a bit, you'ld probably be better off with AMD's Socket A.

AMD Socket A CPU's have virtually no upgrade potential with regards to any further release by AMD. But a system with a ~2.4GHz overclocked Barton and 9800 128MB allows for a very-fast hold-off system for the rest of the hectic year of 2004.

Just a little opinionated run-down on most of the CPU's out there. You should decide which of the above you would want to go with and weigh the benefits/detractions of your choice.

I would think that the P4 Extreame Edition is worth the money if you have that much to spend, its a tight race between the two but the P4 is more compatible at the moment, however, that could change in the future...so use your own judgement. Both chips are exelent!

I wouldn't say the p4 system is more upgradable. socket 478 is going by the wayside quite soon to give way to lbga 775 and then there is the new btx form factor too. They are both good picks. If I were to chose I would pick the fx-53 but I would wait for it to show in skt 939 form as that eliminates the need for registered ecc memory.

Dont listen to these guys.................. just kidding...........

They are right, but instead of listening to our opinions, I will suggest you to check out these 2 links. But I It is unfair to compair the regular pentiums to the FX series. You should compare the FX series to the Pentium Extreme Edition (EE) or a.k.a emergency edition.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1554111,00.asp

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040419/index.html

I think for the first time, TOMSHARDEWARE is speaking the truth. Check these articles yourself.

baro said:

What? I can stick my barton in my moms year old mobo just fine.. my uncle's p4 wont fit into my dads celeron mobo tho. You have your "facts" backwards.

For our newer members in this thread:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

Hi all,
In some benchmarks the AMD Athlon FX53 is slightly better than the Intel Pentium 4 EE 3.4 Ghz. There are some things the Pentium 4 EE is better at though. www.hardocp.com did a think comparing the FX53 to variouse Intel's. IMO, all are pretty darn expensive and all do pretty darn well. There are plenty of FX53 reviews and benchmarks on the net, I am sure you could find many others, other than the link I linked to.

As for if a 3.2 and 3.4 has a big difference, I would say no, there is not really that big of a difference, but there definatly is a difference. If you plan on overclocking it, I would just say to get the 3.2, becuase now coming to the limitations of the 130nm process, the 3.2 and 3.4 will probably only overclock to relatively the same speed.

Sorry, but I cannot really agree with you. THe newer Intel's and AMD's are priced similar, also the upgradeability is about the same. A while ago AMD was more upgradeable, Intel had 2 different sockets for the P4, and switched from RD ram to DDR, and then whent to higher FSB's that you need a new chipset/motherboard for, what a mess. But really the only obstacle in terms of upgrading an AMD was not really anything most of the older motherboards could work, and older CPU's could work on new motherboards. Sorry, but I would have to agree with:
You have your "facts" backwards.

Dont worry, we all mix up our facts every now and then and get em backwards.....I was once doing a speech and was talking about one thing really meaning another...quite a disaster. :eek: :eek: :eek:

However, that is the PAST, now we are looking at the present and the future, in terms of upgradeability. I would say for both Intel and AMD it is about the same currently. AMD will be switching to socket 939 and motherboards will come out with PCI-Express. Intel will be switching to socket T and motherboards will come out with PCI Express. In terms of upgradeability, both are about the same IMO.

-0cer

In conclusion, if the purpose for your computer is for gaming, get AMD. For video encoding, get pentium.

Fact: Invest more on your video card for gaming.

galois427 said:
fx-53 and 9800 pro and you should be happy.

Correction...... you should be very very very very happy.......

that will be 1 darn powerful system.

Back