• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

steppings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mr.spock

Hi every1!!!

As I was reading reviews about various processors, I wondered WTF could be the difference between steppings???!!! :rolleyes:

I figured out from earlier posts that the M0z are the best the ocers and (maybe) the D1z are the second best.

Now; my problem is that how does Intel categorize its newly made steppings?
I mean the new Prescotts are C0 steppings; WHY???
I looked up every stepping @ processorfinder.intel.com, but just cant figure out how they "name" their new steppings.

Can any1 tell me what does B1; C0; D0; E0; C1; etc. mean???
Can I figure out from the stepping ID how good is that processor or is it just for intels developing engineers???

Write if u know anything!!! :(

Stepping, as far as I understand it, relays the product developement stage, or 'age' of the core.

The way to tell if a particular stepping is good, it to wait. It must be tried to see if it is a good o/c'r. Technology of course determines the initial performance expectations, but technology doesn't always turn out the way people think.

I am not sure how they determine wether it would be MO, or D1 or what have you. I think that is proly an engineering dept thing.

Hope that helps a little.

THX!!!

I'm quite sure that the M0 steppings are the best ones 'coz
those are the last ones out every time, I think!!!
And they can be oc-d very well!!!

Back