• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socket 370 P III stock heatsink, how to install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jognt

All round good guy
[NEED HELP FAST!]socket 370 P III stock heatsink, how to install?

Does anyone know/remember how to install a stock PIII socket 370 HS?

i removed the one in me mother's PC, since the fan died, i replaced the TIM with as5, but when i install the HS again, it can move around, more than i can remember it doing when i took it off...

so, i think i buggered up the installing proces... the P III doesnt have those rubber things AMD has, and im kind of afraid to power up the PC since my slot1 p3 and my P4 HS's are attached much more firmly...

Last edited:
im talking about the socket 370 one :) not a slot1 one... the slot1 one ive got was one hellova lot easier to install, though i bought a coolermaster cooler for that one..

ill see if i can get some pics, but i dont know from what angle id have to make the pics, since the case is quite small..

aha... so its not supposed to firm in place? since a socket A i have lying around, isnt in place firmly either :/

If it just moves around parallel to the core's surfaces (side to side with chip lying flat), its fine. If the wobble is in all directions, as if the core was a tiny single point to balance on, thats bad. Basicly if you push down on the HSF right over the core and it doesn't compress further, your okay. The only way to keep a socket HSF [using a clip] from moving is to get a HSF with a base slightly larger than the clip allows for, which makes for a very snug fit between the two ends of the clip.

If you're really worried (or it isn't resting 100% on the core), take it all apart and bend the clip so it has more of a curve. Unless the metal is cheaper than tin, it will put more pressure on the core. Better cooling & you'll rest assured knowing its fine.

wait, i said Socket A in my post, i ment socket 7 :)

the heatsink can move paralel to the die, but it can also wobble, indeed, as if the die was the point it balances on, this only happenes when i tilt it by hand, and i can feel the thermal grease lose its bond, so it does stick a bit...

i would like to bend the clip, but the clip is made from plastic..

im planning on getting a 9 euro socket 370 heatsink from coolermaster, just to be sure, but i still dont trust this, since the heatsinks ive put on other rigs before were placed with 4 clips (P4 heatsink, slot1 secc2 CM heatsink)

The thing that scares me the most is that this PC hasnt got a thermal reading diode, so i dont know what temp its at...

all i know is that when winamp is playing, and i open a new IE window, or just browse in one, winamp sometimes hangs as if its not getting enough CPU time..

pp...plastic? Of course that will let you move the HSF around...it can't exert much force on the HSF at all. I'm assuming that your socket 7 is either a K6-*(2,2+,3) of some sort, or an old pentium 1 or 2. Besides the K6-3's, you could usually run a copper 60mm x 60mm x 35mm+ heatsink w/o a fan on any socket 7 and not worry. They produce very little heat compaired to a P4.

Same for most 370's, they don't need much more than a stock HSF on them. I'd surmise that your lockup probs are from using Windows XP along with <512mb of memory and a not-so-fast HDD. Granted that playing mp3's on a socket 370 cpu is a stretch, XP has a very high cpu/memory overhead that would really slow things down. Also, I'm guessing thats a 5400rpm drive running ata66 or maybe even ata33. Since mp3's are streamed from the HDD, any accessing the HDD while playing can make it hang. Heck, most modern non-raid systems can do that with winamp.

FYI no socket 370 cpu would be capable of producing over 50 watts of heat, even when overclocked. Don't worry, your cpu is safe from burning up.

well, the plastic clip is why im planning on getting a new HSF :)

Thanks for letting me know my 370 is safe from overheating, i just hope it wont burn up if the HS falls of :eek: (i dont trust it ;))

anyway, some system specs :p
pentium III 667mhz (133fsb) (coppermine)
7200rpm 40gb HDD
windows 98SE
512mb ram

Back