• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Placement Decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fac_29

I've now got all 3 of the Volcano9's i ordered so i could rip the Smartfan II's off them to use as Case Fans. Question is now, where to put them?

The general idea was to put 2 at the back as exhausts and i'm going to put 1 front bottom as an intake when my round IDE and Floppy cables arrive. I need to move my Hard Drive further down out the way so i can fit a fan front bottom and the normal ribbon cable thats on there is well short. The round IDE cable i got coming is 90cm, probably a bit long but its all they had.

Now, i've been wondering whether to change the bottom rear exhaust fan to another intake so its blowing directly onto my motherboard. What do you guys think? Or is it bad to have an intake directly below an exhaust?

I'm also considering using the Fan that was on the Heatsink that came with my PC in one of the two fan slots that are on the floor of my case, with a spacer. The HSF is by a company called Colorful Industries(i've never heard of them!) and the fan with it is an 80mm, 45CFM at 31dba. Will that be too powerful to use as a floor fan and interfere with the airflow? Bearing in mind i wont be running the Smartfan II's at full speed.

You can try something like this for your hdd cooling..:)

92mm_Edition-006hdd.gif

please don't quote my pic.:)

Yeah but i dont have an air hole top or side :(
And i'm not bothering with the hassle of modding it cuz i'm gonna upgrade my case asap.

All i have is 2 back, 2 bottom, 2 front (with some rearranging). I think i'll just experiment, see what results i get.

archilochus said:
You can try something like this for your hdd cooling..:)

"No Pic Quoted ;)"
Thanks, thats an idea. I got the day off tomorrow so i got a whole day to do some tinkering. Just hope my new cables arrive...

About having an intake directly below an exhaust, is that not a very good idea?

Thats the spirit...Experimenting will give you a better handle on cooling...:) Thats the fun part..Testing and thinking of new ideas.

it is a bad idea to have an intake below an exhaust because it will likely suck at least some of the exhausted heat back into the case.leave it as exhaust is my suggestion.

Back