• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little Problem With 2 Sound Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madboy2004

hey
im using win xp pro sp1 and i got onboard ac97 alc650 soundcard
i used the option to connect 5.1 in analog mode
i connected the front speakers to the sound out , the rear to the line-in and the center/sub to the mic ( and switched all on windows mixer )
it works great!
but i have a problem
i got a tv card and til now i connected the line out from it to the line in on the ac97 but now i cant cuz its in use ( rear speakers )
so i connected another soundcard - creative 128bit ( pci )
and i connected the tv card to it

the problem is that i cant hear the sound when i see tv
because the 2 soundcards arent connect
i configured the ac97 to be the default device and the creative to be the default recording device on windows sound config
but i cant get it to work

when i try to record on windows sound recorder it records the tv and when i play it plays great on the speakers so the config is fine i guess...

but how can i connect the 2 cards so the input on the creative will be also the input on the ac97 something like a bridge of some kind

is there a solution for this?
thx in advance :)

Madboy2004 said:

i connected the front speakers to the sound out , the rear to the line-in and the center/sub to the mic ( and switched all on windows mixer )
it works great!

This confuses me. The speakers play through input ports?

yeh on ac97 u got a little thing to switch the mic and line in from inputs to outputs and by that to achive 5.1 while line out acts as front , line in acts as rear and mic acts as center+sub
if u want more information u can get into realtek website..

Welcome to the Forums!

that's a good first question.

what motherboard do you have?
Your motherboard might have alternate inputs/outputs on the board itself. You might be able to wire the TV tuner to one of these other connectors and do away with the SB128.

That's what I would try. You might have to make a converter from RCA or 1/8" mini-plug to the PC audio plug, but that's pretty simple. Better still if your TV card has a line out on the card's internal region that is the PC audio format.

I'd go with the Aux LIne in first, then try the CD in if that doesn't work for some reason. They're the same signal format and strength.

but the switch i made to make it 5.1 system wont change them also? or its permanently input no matter the switch?

Back