• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reinstalled XP: Now it boots so slowly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Okay, somehow an programm that deletes nVidia drivers, also managed to delete some chipset and some networking drivers, so I had to reinstall windows because it couldn't even repair itself.

But now it boots so S-L-O-W just after the XP loading screen and in between the logon screen there is litterally about a minute of nothing...

Why is this? I might have run a program before to make it boot quicker, I don't remember which one.

Why is it slow?

thanks.

No I don't even know what they are?

Thanks for the quick reply btw.

I thinks it's a networking problem, because if I unplug the network cables it is much much quicker.

Well it might be waiting for it's IP address via DHCP. I'm not exactly sure how, but you might be able to make your router have all the computers have a static IP address.

All fresh installs of XP are slower than ones that have been used (usually)...
Why is that?

Well, when you first install Windows XP and keep booting it up, it just goes ahead and loads every freaking driver you would ever need for booting up. As time passes, it actually learns which ones you need, and which ones you don't. So give it some time, and it will start booting up faster.

PCGUY112887!

Thanks, I was wondering why after a few days it is suddenly sped up, I thought I did something.

Cheers mate.

really that is good to know as mine is SLOW AS DEATH! at boot up like a 30 second black screen in between windows and the loggin then take FOREVER to log in

Back