• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Mb hd vs. 8 Mb hd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble2501

My Maxtor 80 gig hd is finally dead and I'm getting a new drive to replace it. What I wan't to know is, how big is the difference performance wise between 2 MB and 8 Mb hd's?
Should I get 8 Mb if I'm going to be running XP of that drive?

I need help quick! I already bought a Seagate Barracuda 160 HD with only 2 Mb, but since I work at the place I can still trade to a Maxtor 160 Hd /w 8 Mb (ofcourse by paying more monay for it).

I physically notice a differnce when I went from my 2xWD 80G 2mb HDD's to my 2x80G Maxtor 8mb HDD's...and I now run 1x160 Maxtor 8mb and 1x80G Maxtor 8mb HDD's...transfer times are much better...especially when having to tranfer big files from one to the other...like 500+MB files...games and apps do load faster also...

It will be :D...

You will/should notice even better performance of it when you upgrade to a better board...keep that in mind when you finally do upgrade to another board...

Yeah, I got a great deal too..

the original price for here for a Maxtor 160 Hd /w 8 Mb (what ever you call it) is 125 euros and I got it for only 117 euros!
And yes, I've been thinking about a better board, but alas I'm only practicing here as part of my education so I don't get paid. Which again means I don't really have much of a budget for my rig.

Back