• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Vs Normal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma.xL

Registered
I am looking to buy a 2500 or 2600 and get it up to 3200 as a lot of people have seemingly been able to do with ease. Which would be a better bet, the mobiles or the normal processor?

The mobile for the simple fact you can get a mobile to run at 3200 speed (2.2Ghz) at the mobiles default voltage or slightly higher...the mobiles do not take as much voltage as the desktops do at the same Mhz...usally...like 95% of the time...

That KD7 might be your weak link though...(No AGP/PCI lock...so I doubt you will be able to see the full potential of a mobile OC)...

Check Sig below...running at 1.82v's..and can run it at 2.1Ghz at 1.35v's...undervolted...

ok, so go mobile because lower voltage, makes sense, now you said my KD7 might be holding me back.. what motherboard would you reccomend at sub 100$ price? I see a lot of you guys have that NF7 motherboard, I do not have dual channel ddr

Usually with that board you should be able to get around 180fsb without problems. The KT400 has the 1/5 divisor and the board that he has has the pci/agp lock (aka Nforce2 board). Mine is the KT600 and I can surpass 200 fsb without running the pci/agp too far out of spec, but I choose not to....yet....(mine has the 1/6 divisor) So you can find any good board for under $100 like Asus A7Nxn-deluxe is one that people are having luck with and refurbs at newegg is about $45 for that board.

Last edited:
dfi infinity board is 91$, or it was 2 days ago(dropped by 10$). sposed to be great for OC.

You don't need special ram to run a Nforce2, even a single stick runs fine...unlike Nforce1 you are able to run either dual or single channel and normally the gains from running dual are minimal.

I would pick up a cheap Nforce2 such as the AN35Ultra or the Albatron board or a refurb of a better board from newegg.

Imho the mobile is the better choice.

Next time PLEASE post in the AMD Cpus section and not the general section.

Get a mobile ....but get one thats low vcore you can get ones at 1.65v just the same as desktop .....mine is a 2500+@i think 1.45v just shop round ...

a7n8x delux is a fantastic board solid rock stable ...... ive had no probs at all with this , and it has very very good sound (soundstorm).....

ive fully volt moded it ...
apart from the bypass vcore thing it has ....(cant go above 2.1v)....

you will hit speeds of 3200+ easily and above with the right memory and cooling .......

every system i have built with this board (20)

with a xp2500+ crucial memory or corsair pc 3200 or pc 3500 has hit 200 fsb @12 multi without fail......

cooling is the key as well ....i know its a big boast and there are boards that can do the same thing .....

But.

I love my A7N8X-e deluxe. You cant raise your voltage very high, but otherwise I dont have a problem with it. As for your dual channel ram comment, dual channel is simply running 2 sticks of ram in your pc, in a sort of raid done by the chipset giving you a theoretical double of bandwidth. You dont need anything special for it.

ok, now somebody said something about making sure the ram was good, I currently have the 2 sticks of 256meg pc3200 Corsair ValueRam, since it is value ram do you think it would need to be replaced if I am considering Overclocking.

--Sorry for posting here instead of AMD--

I just bough the AN35N-Ultra from Newegg for $60

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-150-045&depa=0

It is a couple bucks less now and comes with free shipping. It does not have Sata but I don't have a Sata drive so I don't care. By the time I get one I will have moved onto the 939 AMD 64bit platform or whatever anyway.

I am using a 2600 mobile spu and overclocking. I went with the mobile because they are so popular and they are multiplier unlcoked, as well have a reputation for running faster than regualr bartons at lower voltage. I have corsair 3200 value ram that should run at 400 mhz and have not even tried pushing it yet. I just change the multiplier setting for the CPU so I don't mess with the FSB or ram speed, but can still get a decent OC. For the record I am running it 2400mhz, 200 mhz faster than 3200+ cpus. Check the Shuttle board, people seem to really like it. I was not willing to try a refurbished board because I did not want to risk having the thing all of my parts are plugged into being faulty.

It seems this thread is fairly well covered already, but I wanted to just say to those of you who are new here...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Have a click on my sig if you want to introduce yourselves to everyone.

Back