• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leadtek Winfast GeForce 2 Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperbob

I just bought a leatek geforce 2 ultra 64mb 4ns ddr ram video card. I was wondering if it was a good performer and if it was a good overclocker. The gpu sink looks good, the RAM sinks don't look so good. I need some advise here.

heatsink and fan

Tell me what you think about the RAM sinks. They are FLAT for some reason. That's not good is it? Also the GPU fan is kinda crappy don't you think. The GPU heatsink looks ok i guess. What are your opinions on this?

From your jpeg of the card the GPU heatsink looks good. I have an ELSA G force2 ultra and the heatsink is much smaller. I prefer the RAM heatsinks on my card.

ramsinks? What ramsinks? :D You just have 2 metal plates and they dont even have fins! Whats up with dat :confused: Your gpu heatsink is massive, and yet dinky ramsinks =. Well just try and have a case fan blowing if you plan on ocing it, but to be honest you really dont get much NOTICABLE improvment from ocing your ultra, except when benchmarking of corse. So you might want to do what I do, overclock it just to see what it can do, then benchmark it, then put it back to stock, or maybe just overclock the ram a little and not the core. The geforce2 ultra is ram limited and not core speed. You really wont notice like an fps increase though, probably just higher 3dmark2k1 scores.

new ram sinks

Okay so should I rip out the original ramsinks and put in new ones? It will be very hard since the gpu heatsink overlaps the FLAT ram sinks.

blue orb

By the way I've just found out that the blue orb cools the GPU better than the Leadtek stock fan/heatsink. There's a flaw in the design in the leadtek fan. When the heat rises it gets sucked into the fan again causing the fan to blow the hot air back on the gpu. Well, I'm haveing serious doubts about my new card.

The benefits of better cooling are going to be minimal... I urge you to play with overclocking the card as is, benchmark with 3dmark 2000 and 2001, and compare your results. You have a really good card, don't be bummed about some minor flaws like paint chips missing on a Monet!

Ask zoopa_man what happened to his blue-orb-tweaked video card... SOL... has a new card now (though he was finally able to get the other damaged card to work again by connecting the broken board traces).

Leadtek

I have the same card as you(Leadtek gf2 ultra)

I agree that the ramsinks are pretty much pathetic, I did two mods on this card, the first was add a 40mill x 40 mill x20 mill Sunon fan and used 4 rubber grommets and just superglued the grommets to the top of the existing fan and stacked the more powerful fan on top of the other one. (I'll post a pic later)

The second thing I did was remove all the heatsinks as they are all held in by pins and not glued in with thermal adhesive.

After determining that the ramsinks are pathetic, I wiped all the white thermal grease off of everything and used arctic silver on the gpu and reinstalled the main heatsink. Next I replaced the ramsinks with Radio shack heatsinks that fit nicely but due to the overlap of the gpu heatsink I had to affix them sideways covering 65% of the ramchip surface, but according to my testing this achieved better cooling than the stock flat heatsink. I didnt permently affix the Radio Shack ransinks with Arctic Silver adhesive because I may replace the main GPU heatsink after I am done testing. I may try to affix a small peltier (52watts) with a silver coldplate and a alpha low profile heatsink at a later time. (that mod achieved me a 10% speed increase in my retired Leadtek GF2 Pro)

Well, since I haven't gotten it yet I'll go with your advice and try to oc first without modding it. BTW u know how long it takes for stuff from CA to get to the east coast with the Fed Ex EXPRESS SAVer package? Notice I said EXPRESS SAVER meaning very bad.

Back