• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does it REALLY matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SSVicious

Registered
Hi. I am wanting to build a P4 2.8C and overclock it to 3.5 or more. I have heard from some people that I will need some really good RAM if I want to overclock my CPU and FSB to the max. I was looking at the OCZ 1GB dual channel kit, but it costs 250 dollars. It is pc3200.

I want PC3200 or better, and I need 1 GB, but 250 dollars? Do I really need such expensive RAM to get a good overclock? I mean, it almost costs as much as my CPU and mobo together.

What RAM would you all recommend. I am willing to pay the 250 dollars, but if it won't make much of a difference, I would LOVE to pay less, obviously.

If I pay less for my RAM, I will be able to spend money on a new graphics card or more fans or whatever.

So, would you buy the OCZ ram? If not, what WOULD you buy, and how much does it cost? Remember, I want two sticks of 512MB so I can dual channel. So, what's best?

Thanks for your help!

Given the question of running 250 fsb with a 2.8C, I'd say any PC3200 that has good stock timings would be fine, since you'd be running the sticks at 200fsb in 5:4 ratio. Good memory will give you flexibility to go beyond 250 fsb at 5:4 raito. However I'm thinking that most P3200 can OC to 210 fsb relatively easily, at least the name brand stuff.

The caveat is that not all sticks of memory do well in async mode. If you're planning on definitely reaching 250 fsb, I'd research what memory others are using in the 5:4 on your particular motherboard.

Back