• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mushkin 222 memory and some noob questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evor1

Registered
i am buying 3 gig p4 prescott most likely but some things aobut hte memory are unclear to me. the fsb is 200 mhz quadpumped to 800 mhz. so what speed ram do i need so it is in sync with the fsb? 2 pc3200 which would equal 800 mhz when added up??

if that is the case then i was going to purchase these
http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushk...d02ab53a02740c0a801020670/Product/View/991156
that would make the memory speed and fsb equal and have very low frequencys. this would be ideal right?

what if i wanted to overclock the cpu a bit? what would happen to the memory? does it have to be increased as well. sorry i read the stickys about this stuff but im still unclear about some things.

Yes, to run the FSB in sync with the memory you'd need PC3200. The P4 runs on a quad pumped 200mhz bus, so 200x4 = 800. The 200mhz is the important thing though, so you get 200mhz memory (PC3200) to run in sync. That RAM would be a pretty good choice.

The memory will increase in speed as well while you're overclocking. If you set them in sync, then if the CPU is at 205 the RAM would be at 205 as well. You could use dividers though - a 5:4 divider would put the CPU at 250MHz and the RAM at 200.

Back