• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single vs Dual Channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmmm idk about running in circles but dual channel helps alot... but i doubt enough to make the 2.2 perform better than a 2.8C... and you really should run that 2.8 in dual ;)

Try running some benchmarks on both computers and compare the results. Try Sandra CPU test, Sandra Memory test, SuperPI, 3dmark01, etc.

Dual channel does make a big difference in memory intensive programs, but it does not affect the actual CPU performance. I don't use HT, so I don't know what effect it has on performance.

A lot of things could factor into the equation. I see that the 2.2 has a better video card. Does it have a hard drive with a bigger cache? Did it just receive a fresh OS install?

tgxiii said:
A lot of things could factor into the equation. I see that the 2.2 has a better video card. Does it have a hard drive with a bigger cache? Did it just receive a fresh OS install?

Well it could just be the fact that 2.2 pwns joo. But in all seriousness, double-ddr gives you some dramatic bandwidth.... You get the best bang for the buck out of your processor with dual because your processor will never have to wait for data. It will always work 100%. And 600mhz is not THAT much.

I am currently running a 2.6c 800 with single channel pc3200 (512mb)... what kind of performance increase should I expect when I add the second stick to make it dual channel?

Talk about difference between dual and single...
I have 2100 ram and I just switched to dual... For some reason after I switched to dual I could actually be a lot more agressive with the timings... I used Scisoft sandra and I got the equivalent of pc3200 memory bandwidth....

wooot...

ok here is what I am doin...... I am taking the 2.8c and putting it into the dual channel board, crack it to 3.2 or so, drop in the 9800 pro and then run some benchies.... then we will see eheheheheh

so system configuration will be,

Intel D865
2.8c
1G DDR3200
9800 pro

then we should see a huge difference...

Back