• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good 120x38 mm fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcoleg

i got a question.

what whould be a 120x38 mm fan to get that meets these criteria:

-starts up with about 6-7v
-relatively low noise at that voltage
-the noise is low-piched (can't stand high-piched sounds :p)
-does not exeed 18w at about 10v?

i've looked around, there's some deltas, thermaltakes and so on but if someone has experience with those and could share some pointers, that would be apreciated. thanks :)

i don't think you have to worry about high pitched noises with a 120. they tend to be lower in pitch than the typical 80

well, i got i nidec (not sure if that's a correct spelling, it's mounted right now), .49 amps one, it has a higher pitch noice at about 8v than my 80mm tornado at about the same voltage.

3054.jpg

Delta Tri-blade fan 120mmX32mm , 130+cfm. I have two in my case, very cool.

Radical, that's a bit of a long story...

i picked up an sp97 on sale, see? well, i thought i had a 92mm fan somewhere, so i didn't bother ordering one (or even checking to see if i still had it). turns out, however, that the fan i was thinking of was a 120mm nidec :p. well, i decided to try to mount it on anywho, seeing that i've taken the m/b out and installed the h/s already. and it mounted, after a fasion.

made a mistake, hehe, but now i cool the h/s, the mosfets and the back of my vid card all with one fan. so, i am thinking i'll just keep doing that then; temps seem ok and i really like the idea of going to 120mm; more air with less noise, in theory.

as to why 120x38, 120x25 won't mount with the wire clips on the sp97, certain hight is needed.

Kar, how's the noise with those deltas? any high-pitch tones creep in?

Last edited:
Voodoo Rufus, how does 120x38 panaflo sound like?

i basically pick them up by sound :p

i even had one of those silent thermaltake 80mm ones in one of my systems. something was off, it seemed, couldn't figure out for a while till i realized i could hear an extrimely faint high pitch comming out of it... replaced it with a low panaflo, feel much better now :p

The noise is noticeable, not a high pitch whin but more of an air-gushing sound.

I think it is abt 47dba, but the air pressure on these fan is definitely unbelieveable.

cool, thanks guy, that's the info i needed.

still wonder how do those deltas sound...

any idea where to get one of those panaflos at an ok price?

svc.com has the best prices on panaflos I've seen, which around $10. Most PC modding places will charge $15 or more.

Panaflos are quite nice in their lack of motor noise. They are designed for low noise, esp. in the blades.

Delta 120mmx38mm FFBs are not bad at low voltage. They have noticable motor noise but it's low frequency and not annoying. They push mad amounts of air at low and high speeds.

svc.com, gotcha...

thank you all :) , guess i'll be getting a panaflo then.

mcoleg, T H I S 120mm Evercool may be what you're looking for. I have 2 of them 7-volted in my case and they are very quiet, better than my 7-volted 120mm Panaflo.

These Sanyo Denki's are head and shoulders above any 120m/m fan that I have experience with

Link

106CFM @ 36DBA

Props to SSS for coming up with the link.

:)

The delta and panaflos seem kind of loud for case fans, how noticable would the sound be from them in a dorm room, with 2 or 3 of them in a case?

A few Panaflos you'd hear, but they're not obnoxious. Just low airflow noise. No whine or anything.

The Delta FFBs I would not reccommend unless you volt mod them or place them on a fan controller if you're noise sensitive.

Back