• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are shrouds necessary for this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzzuf

i bought a huge azz server case thats basically a huge cube with demensions of 24"h x 18"w x 24"d. now on the back side of the case is all empty space where im going to be puting 2 71 capris heatercores and 8 120mm fans. now this back side is completely blocked off from the rest of the case so i was thinking that shrouds werent necesary since this whole side of the case will be like a wind tunnel. am i right in thinking this? the main reason i dont want to use shrouds is that i want this too look good and to be honest with you guys, ive tried making shrouds and they didnt turn out looking too good:( heres an attached image to show what im doing, keep in mind that this compartment is totally closed of from the rest of the case.

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 152
you could do without but a focused airflow is always better. And 8 120mm fans? Sounds like overkill.

With that many fans I doubt the shrouds would do much as long as your airflow isn't leaking out in other places instead of going through the HC's.

Im a big fan of overkill, go for it :D Don't forget to post pics. Id also reccomend a few Sunbeam or Nexus fan controllers.

i have a nexus fan controller already and the reason for 8 fans is : 2 stacked on top of each other on each side of the 2 HC:)

reaper79 said:
Stacking fans on each other won't net you any gains, put them side by side if you can.

Cheers! :D

yes thatsn what im doing, stacking them one on top of the other so they are 2 high. like this *******

yeah, 2 fans directly stacked are counter-productive, unless you have a counter-rotating fan (ask SSS if you must). However, if you have Fan-HC-Fan, then you'll see some gains. Just don't do Fan-Fan-HC-Fan-Fan or Fan-Fan-HC, unless you have some counter-rotating fans.

Cyrix_2k said:
yeah, 2 fans directly stacked are counter-productive, unless you have a counter-rotating fan (ask SSS if you must). However, if you have Fan-HC-Fan, then you'll see some gains. Just don't do Fan-Fan-HC-Fan-Fan or Fan-Fan-HC, unless you have some counter-rotating fans.

im NOT directly stacking them guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im vertically stacking them.

Ohhh! That would be side-by-side. Yah, you can do that. It works very well, and pushes TWICE the air a single fan would.

However, I would recommend a blower instead. They have a much greater static pressure rating, have very even airflow, and queit.

looks good, if its just the big case and stuff, you could just put the cores directly against the side of the case(with holes for them and sealed) and then put the fans either blowing in or out of the case(all of them) and use the entire case as a shroud.

Jon

Back