• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remove thermal paste and clean heatskink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ease_one

Registered
So I am thinking about removing my heatsink, cleaning it off and removing the thermal paste, clean the cpu core, and then re-apply the paste in hopes of a cooler running CPU (I think maybe I did it wrong the first time, seems to be running hotter than most).

I have some finger nail polish remover and some stuff called Goo Gone. Will either of those be ok for the job? I think finger nail polish is like rubbing alcohol?

99%isoprol alcohol works the best on artic silver 5
on a sticky pad xylene works best then after clean with alcohol and a coffee filter.

SewerBeing said:
you need 70% and up alcohol for this job, with Q-tips. It works miracles. I wouldnt use the Goo Gone on the Processor, but I have used it on the heatsink, just fine. But what processor is it?

it is a mobile AMD 2600. The heatsink is some vantec thing with copper and aluminum.

Is rubbing alcohol 70%+?

FYI the CPU runs at about 52c at 1.775v 2400 mhz under prime95 torture test with the case door off.

Back