• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why won't it go past 992 anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
I've tried just about everything, tried the system naked (just a vid card), changed memory, different OS', etc...
only things that have remained the same are my PSU and mobo. I was leaning towards the mobo till earlier this evening, when I got the system to boot at 1066 again. I went to play CS, so I brought it back down to 992. As soon as i got out, I gave it 15 mins to cool down some, and tried to go back to 1066 again. I know it's not entirely stable at that 1066, running games, but instead of not booting or getting to the POST, it loaded Win, gave me some cr*p about fixing the registry for me, and rebooted. Does the same thing, over and over. Specs are :
Asus P3V4X
MSI fcpga adapter
Celeron 800
VooDoo 3 2500 AGP
Creative DVD encore decoder card
Sound Blaster Live!(value)
Realtek 10/100 NIC
335W Power Man PSU
Weird thing is that it booted and loaded windows fine until I went down to 992, and tried to go back up to 1066. I'm thinking I'm going to leave it at 992 because I don't see all that much performance gain going to 1066. It just irks me that it'll go that high, but it seems like the planets have to be aligned or something, for it to do so.

I've experienced the same sh*t with my Celeron 800. I kept having an occasional lockups at 1054/1066/1074 etc. But last week w2k crashed right after logging on. After this the mobo didn't recognize one of my HHD's anymore so it couldn't boot with the NTloader. I needed to set everything to default and after a dozen bootups she finally recognized my 15Gig 7200rpm maxtor again but w2k kept locking up after loggin on. I ended up restoring a (fortunatly recent) image of that partition. However all this stuff gave me a good scare so I decided to stay at the OC I already knew was 100% solid; I lowered her to 112FSB. This way I can keep all my Voltages@default, my RAM@CL2 and my AGP@2X with my TNT2 OCed from 125/150 to 150/165. All I do basically is browse the web, and burn some CD's, and I've been at 37.5Mhz PCI speed for years before with my Celeron400@450. I really think it's my mobo causing all this cuz I see lots of people with the new Asus CUSL2-C @1066 or above with almost default voltages. But any new mobo I'll buy in the future will probably be for an AMD DDR platform...

Same thing happened to me early last spring. It was Windows registry errors. Sounds like that in this case too, since it's giving you a registry error message and is "trying" to fix it. In my situation, I was to reformat the harddrive and do a clean Windows install, then I was back in business. Overclocking has a bad habit of causing registry errors.

That's the weird thing. I've re-installed about 4 times this week, and it keeps giving me the same s**t, even after a fresh install. But last night it just up and decided it wanted to go all that way to 1066. left it running for a couple hous, and was fine. Lowered it dow to 992 to play CS, no prob. Get outta the game and try to hike it back up to 1066, after letting the system cool down for 15 mins, and all of a sudden is just won't do it. Geuss, it's one of those M$ mysteries. I'll have to screw with it when I get the second system put together. Thanks for the help guys! If I find the problem I'll let ya know.

Back