• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mach 2 Trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strife045

Registered
My Mach 2 just arrived from Kit-Tronics, its been set up properly- my Xaser 3 has been moded nicely for it. Everything has been done correcly, when I plug in the power cord the green LED blinks likes its supposed too.

But when I press the power button nothing happens. It doesn't start up and the yellow LED does NOT blink. During shipping the chip at the back got shaken off along with two of the wires going to it. I'm almost positive the wires have been reatached correctly but if thats the case then the units defective. If someone could post pictures of their chip and give any help they can that would be fantastic. I looked everywhere on the net for instructions on the control chip but couldnt find any.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I got it to work sorta..

The cooling unit starts and goes for about a minute (cooling the CPU to boot temp I assume) Then the system starts.

I go straight to BIOS to the temp monitor.

The temp starts at 50 and keeps rising- Ive done this twice and each time quickly shut off power at 80 C.

I dont have a LCD screen yet, itl be here in a couple days. I heard the temp rises during initilization but.. 80 C.. in several seconds.

Arctic Ceramaque is applied correctly and everything is setup correctly. Turning on a Prescott with 80 C on start up scares me.

strife045 said:
I got it to work sorta..

The cooling unit starts and goes for about a minute (cooling the CPU to boot temp I assume) Then the system starts.

I go straight to BIOS to the temp monitor.

The temp starts at 50 and keeps rising- Ive done this twice and each time quickly shut off power at 80 C.

I dont have a LCD screen yet, itl be here in a couple days. I heard the temp rises during initilization but.. 80 C.. in several seconds.

Arctic Ceramaque is applied correctly and everything is setup correctly. Turning on a Prescott with 80 C on start up scares me.
what MB do you have? soething isnt right if your compressor is running then it should be -20 or so

Thought my signature showed up for other people.

I have an Abit IC7 MAX3

Prescott 3 GHz

550 Watt Power

Please respond ASAP. Working on it now.

disable the mb temp in the bios, they are known on that board to be way off. use mb monitor. prescott should run a little hotter but not like that.
what does the lcd screen temp report?
and are you sure the bolt are tight enough and you have proper contact between the cpu and the block

Im resecuring the CPU freezer now and replacing the seal string around it. I'm actually too afraid to load Windows up and read the temp from there if it reaches 80C in BIOS.

The LCD screen hasnt arrived yet but I assume the unit itself is at -33C, otherwise it shouldn't have booted the computer.

when you took off the block from the cpu was it making good contact? did it leave the paste smeared out? i mean you can tell if your getting contact when you take it off. if you are and you fire it up without the cpu on does it get icey cold? and form ice on it?

I don't believe its making contact- I've reset the CPU chiller onto the Prescott, but this time an alarm just sounds when the computer starts and immediately shuts off.

I've remounted the chiller and replaced both layers of seal string.

Oh and should I use AS Ceramique or AS 5?

Err now when I start it, I can hear the Mach 2 start, but after 15 seconds or so it slows down and turns off.

Last edited:
take the block off the cpu, unplug it from the MB and fire it up and make sure its getting cold, it should get super cold on the surface.
when you say both layers of seal string what do you mean?

One on the CPU chiller rim, and one on the top part of the mobo mount. I did it just like in the instructions.

thats odd because on mine i just put it on the arm not on the mb.
measure the distance from the metal clip, even if by eye or with a pencil to the cpu. now how far does the block stick out.
does the paste get smeared real thin? as ceramique is probably best to use.

make sure that the screws are bottomed out that hold the mounting plate to the MB. it really sounds like its not making contact.
and does it get cold running by itself?

Good news.

It gets cold.

Real cold.

I think I lost fealing in finger lol.

I made a mistake, its not a layer on both the arm and mb.

Ill try remounting. Thanks for having me test it, I feel better knowing it works.

I got it up and running, the top MB mount wasnt lowered enough.

Now however it says USB device not recognized in windows when I plug the USB controller in. The CD doesn't contain drivers.

It all works now, but the temps are like -5 through -2 under load at stock settings from MBM5.

I know the Abit reads temps high but isn't that still rather hot.

How high does Abit read temps? I hear 10 degrees or so.

I'm at stock voltage\speeds.

strife045 said:
How high does Abit read temps? I hear 10 degrees or so.

I'm at stock voltage\speeds.
thats pretty normal for abit boards to be about 10°C off
you have no lcd so we dont know what the unit temp is saying.

Back