• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with raptor 74gig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lowbaby

cant seem to oc with this hd.
can switch boot to ata hd also in the computer and it oc's a little faster.

is the raptor busted or dose it not oc very well?????

Knowing absolutely nothing about your particular MB leads me to ask: Does you MB have a PCI divider? Or is your SATA controller onboard? If you are using a PCI controller and you don't have a divider, the resulting PCI overclock could be the source of your problem.

"my friend" is using MSI K8t Neo-FIS2R mobo and amd 64 3000+ sata is onboard (via)... when overclocking he gets hard drive corruption... (and must format/reinstall everything)...

multiplier is 10 - (not adjustable in bios??) clock is @ 220 right now... to get 2.2 GHz if adjusted to 225 - hard disk corruption.

That's because his motherboard is via (crap) and there's no PCI lock. On my A64 board I can overclock to 230+ with no corruption with a Raptor although I have seen evidence that my board is actually PCI locked. If there's a Silicon Image controller or something like that tell him to switch to one of those SATA ports. The problem should go away but unfortunately, the HD will now be sitting on and congesting the PCI bus and performance will suffer to some degree.

I thought I read that the 36 gig model of the Raptor was adapted to SATA cable connection but anyways, it might have a IDE connection if you take the converter off.

Just a thought.

Back