• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my monitor dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sLk

I own a Mag 996PF that was purchased new in November 2003.

This morning I noticed it takes longer for it to turn on and react when I open and close applications.
For example, whenever I switch from playing a game to the desktop it appears as if the screen is 'stretched' for a second, hiding any outside portions of what's supposed to be on the screen.
It now takes about a half second to a full second to adjust to the correct resolution when before it would be instant.
I've tried re-installing the driver for it as well as re-install my video card driver.
The settings I run it at are 1024x768x32 @ 100hz which is well within the monitor limits.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'd hate to think it was your video card. If you can, try another monitor just to make sure the problem is with your monitor.

I tried as you suggested 1Time and it appears to be localized to my monitor.

The picture is definitely taking longer to 'fade in'.
Once it's adjusted it appears everything else works fine.
The picture doesn't seem any dimmer nor the contrast is affected.
It just takes longer for it to adjust.
I am suspicious that my monitor is dying. :(

if thats all i dont think its dying. Atleast i hope not...

Monitors should always outlive your computer. Do you set a screen saver or sleep time regularly? Setting just a black screen for screensaver is not the same as sleep mode. Justa thought...

Back